Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, this is my first post to the forum and I'm excited to be part of the community.

I recently started building an outdoor table for use on my deck. The base is made of new doug fir 4x4s. I cut the 4x4s, sanded them down, and then (mistakenly) applied a coat of Minwax WATER based wood conditioner.

Too late, I realized I should have started with the oil-based wood conditioner. But is it too late? The can and the web site both say that the water base cannot be followed with oil. My question is, what will happen if I put a few coats of oil on top of this initial wood conditioner?

My original plan was to finish the table with the same Penofin marine oil I have used on the rest of the deck - it ages well, and I can just keep adding a fresh coat of oil every year as I do to maintain the deck. I'm also comfortable with water-based approaches, but I find the poly finishes to be a bit plasticy and they don't hold up very well over time outdoors in my experience.

What do you think? Am I locked in to water-based stain on the table from now on? Is it exceptionally difficult to remove a layer of water based conditioner? Or is it possible to get good results by sealing water-based conditioner with oil?

·
Registered
26,208 Posts
Hi all, this is my first post to the forum and I'm excited to be part of the community.

I recently started building an outdoor table for use on my deck. The base is made of new doug fir 4x4s. I cut the 4x4s, sanded them down, and then (mistakenly) applied a coat of Minwax WATER based wood conditioner.

Too late, I realized I should have started with the oil-based wood conditioner. But is it too late? The can and the web site both say that the water base cannot be followed with oil. My question is, what will happen if I put a few coats of oil on top of this initial wood conditioner?

My original plan was to finish the table with the same Penofin marine oil I have used on the rest of the deck - it ages well, and I can just keep adding a fresh coat of oil every year as I do to maintain the deck. I'm also comfortable with water-based approaches, but I find the poly finishes to be a bit plasticy and they don't hold up very well over time outdoors in my experience.

What do you think? Am I locked in to water-based stain on the table from now on? Is it exceptionally difficult to remove a layer of water based conditioner? Or is it possible to get good results by sealing water-based conditioner with oil?
It may or may not be against the instructions of the wood conditioner but if the conditioner was allowed to dry overnight you could use the Penofin over it. Many water based conditioners say to stain the wood within 30 minutes. This would just make it more effective as a conditioner in that time frame. Is the wood conditioner rated for exterior use? Some of these water based conditioners is more similar to watered down wood glue. If it's one of those the penofin wouldn't protect the conditioner from liquefying if it got wet. From where you are I would just chance it. The worst thing that could happen is have to strip it and refinish it. You would have to do that anyway to really fix it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts