Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am brand new here.

I'm making some salad spoons for a friend and I'm finishing them with Watco Butcher Block oil and finish.

The instructions say to sand between coats with #400 grit, but they don't say whether to sand after applying the last coat.

I'd like to sand after the last coat - to get rid of that "glossy" look - but I'm afraid it might compromise the protective of the product and being said spoons, they need to withstand water, etc.

Anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Hi all,

I am brand new here.

I'm making some salad spoons for a friend and I'm finishing them with Watco Butcher Block oil and finish.

The instructions say to sand between coats with #400 grit, but they don't say whether to sand after applying the last coat.

I'd like to sand after the last coat - to get rid of that "glossy" look - but I'm afraid it might compromise the protective of the product and being said spoons, they need to withstand water, etc.

Anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
No, you don't want to sand the finish after the last coat. It would make it too dull. After it dries a couple days you might use a scotchbrite pad to rub out the shine. 0000 steel wool could also be used but you should let the finish dry a week. Steel wool is dirty and could get into the wood and if the finish isn't completely cured might stay.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,097 Posts
An old professional finisher taught me to "wait until the oil smell goes away" before using oil based finished items. Some folks will put the newly finished, but dry to the touch, items in an enclosure with a bunch of wadded up newspapers to absorb the off gassed fumes to help speed the final curing along. I once made a bunch of maple trivets and finished them by soaking them in Watco for a while. It took several weeks in a warming box to cure them. They were for Christmas gifts and fortunately, I made them well in advance.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/memb.../woodworking-projects/38929-maple-trivet-jig/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts