Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys. A few differing opinions here. Guess I'll experiment with a couple of different tools until I get a result I like. Again, thank you for your advice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes, differing opinions. Probably because insufficient information provided in the question.

What is the scale of the object in the picture?

George
Unless it is in a doll house I would imagine someone of your education and experience could make a good guess based off of the floor boards:thumbsup:

Looks like a gouge. I worked with a carver last month that showed me how to use one. It was a ton of fun and not so hard to do once you waste a few hunks of wood.

·
Registered
155 Posts
tool marks

I still vote for adz or a corp I think they spell it that way. A tool they use to shape Windsor chair bottoms. Others have posted likely tools as I have We will never know for sure unless we talk to maker.:blink::huh:

·
where's my table saw?
27,856 Posts
agree

Yes it was done with a gouge. It was at least a #6 sweeps. I can tell you it wasn't a ten minute project, someone pounded on it for quite a while.
I made a sculpture from a Cherry crotch years ago and it has rthe same pattern. I used a gouge with a fairly tight radius, but don't know what number it was. But I found it and it was made by E,A. Berg from Sweden. It's about 3/4" wide with about a .05 cent radius. The tree had done most of the work so I just turned it into a torso.

The piece you showed was probably roughed out using a chain saw, then fine turned using the gouge. It was still a whole lot of work. :yes: It turned out very well.

Reactions: alexanderwallman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, differing opinions. Probably because insufficient information provided in the question.

What is the scale of the object in the picture?

George
It looks like a regular-sized stool to me, but it's just a photo that I liked and found on the net, so I can't be sure about the size, unfortunately...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still vote for adz or a corp I think they spell it that way. A tool they use to shape Windsor chair bottoms. Others have posted likely tools as I have We will never know for sure unless we talk to maker.:blink::huh:
What is a 'corp'? I can't find any reference to one anywhere on the net. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The tool marks follow the grain around the knot. That plus the patterning is nearly impossible to do with any size of scorp. The scorp work in post #13 leaves a wonderful surface of elongate channels.

Having textured surfaces with adze, gouge and crooked knives, I'll suggest a #5 sweep, like a 5/12 or a 5/18. Guessing hardwood, Steve Neul (post#5) got it right = somebody beat on it for quite a while. Since the texturing isn't deep, a 12-15oz mallet would be OK (no need for a 30oz for example.)
Likely not an adze as the precision of the pattern suggests a lifetime of striking accuracy, angle and pressure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts