Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3/4" thick plywood piece that is 18" X 6'. The bow is about in the middle of the length. It has about a 3 - 4" bow in it. I have some weight on it now but don't have a whole lot of tinme for it to straighten. Will the weight work or will I need to steam or soak it?
TIA
Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the center upright for a set of double shelves. The shelves are adjustable but there should be enough shelves on both sides to hold it fairly straight. It will be fastened at the top and bottom. Maybe I will put in one permanate shelve on each side to hold it straight. Yeah, that ought to do it. And I'll just tell her (DD) thats the way it's supposed to be. Uh-hu

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, the old "don't worry about that dent, I don't charge extra for that".

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't know the ply type (don't laugh,, some people use CDX)

No way to permanent bend it.

You could make the center support a double thickness and glue 2 pc togather straight.

jim

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Plywood, MDF, OSB, hardboard, even particle board (blasphemy!) all have their places. But they all have their limits to the quantity and length of time of exposure to moisture that they can withstand before they deform/delaminate/warp/expand/bubble/fall apart.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the shelves in yesterday. It worked fine. The shelves hold the board straight. I did try putting weight on the bow for about two weeks. Didn't seem to help any at all.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts