Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice piece of cherry wood that was given to me. It came from a bench (seat) that was outside for years. It has a bad warp in it and I need a way to get it as straight as I can. I had it clamped to counter top for weeks but it didnt change much. I want to know if I was to wet the board and put bags of stones on it or even pull my blazer up on it and let it sit a few days?
FYI the board is 48"X14"X1.75"

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
Some warps just can't be tamed

At almost 2" thick and 14" wide there are a lot of forces working against you to retrain. I would suggest placing the board on a flat surface and let the opposite corners raise up equally to a balanced point and scribing a line all the way around on all 4 sides. This will be a horizontal plane at equilibrium. Using that line as a reference, plane down the highest material until you get a surface that is parallel to the line. You will probably end up taking equal amounts off both sides.

Now that the wood is equalized, it probably won't move any further and you can go on with a project.

!4" is too wide for any thing but a commercial jointer, so hand planes are in order. For Cherry they must be razor sharp and if you have an extra blade, grind a slight convex edge to make a scrub plane to remove lots of material easily. Clamps, stop blocks, hold downs, bench dogs and a bench hook will be handy for holding the wood. A study and heavy workbench that won't move is also a necessity when applying hand planing forces.

If it were me, I would use my 6" jointer like it was a hand plane and remove the high spots that way. This requires some advanced technique, but it will eliminate the hand work. A portable hand power plane will work also to remove the major high spots.
Then at 14" wide it's too wide for all but a 15" stationary planer, so you may still need to perfect your hand plane skills.

:yes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out the wood whisper video on how to flatten a work bench top using a router sled. May give you some ideas. It was interesting.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have a nice piece of cherry wood that was given to me. It came from a bench (seat) that was outside for years. It has a bad warp in it and I need a way to get it as straight as I can. I had it clamped to counter top for weeks but it didnt change much. I want to know if I was to wet the board and put bags of stones on it or even pull my blazer up on it and let it sit a few days?
FYI the board is 48"X14"X1.75"
Split it down the middle and plane it flat .
Attempting to crush it flat is futile .

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wood left outside for a long period that has developed a warp can not be removed. The cell structure has been materially changed and deformed and nothing will change it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx

Thanx for all the replies I didnt think it would work thats why I asked be for ruining this nice piece of wood. I guess I will find a mill that I can have it planed. I dont own a planer and would hate to mess up anyway. Im not new to woodwork but that is one area I havent had any experience in.........................
Here is a bit of my work.

Deck Pond.jpg

Plant Cabinet.jpg

Window Bench 2.jpg

Edd

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You do good work :thumbsup:

Get another piece of wood for that job ,
and use this one nice dished piece for decorative work , platters and the like
Put some of it on a lathe and embellish the curve if need be .

Its' too good to waste into shavings on the workshop floor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts