Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just refinished a 100 year old knockdown wardrobe. It came out very nice, but the issue i am now having is that the doors do not close perfectly. The left door closes first. And then when I go to close the right door, there is about a 1/4 inch overlap. If i put the two doors together, I can close them, and they stay shut. When the right door does close, i have to push it, and the top portion of the wardrobe moves. I know that i am not explaining this well. I will try to post pictures. This is probably pretty basic stuff, but, i am simply new to all this. What, where do I need to adjust? If you need more info, let me know. Your insight is appreciiated.

·
Registered
27,908 Posts
You say it is a knock down wardrobe. Is it possible the two sides are too close to each other? If the doors are on pin hinges they also get misaligned pretty often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Misaligned hinges...i have 3 hinges on each door. The top left hinge i lowered 2 inches because of the small crack i had previously posted about.
I had to replace two of the lower hinges because they were missing. So they are new ones, but, i also do not think that is the case. What do i need to do? What seems odd that on the doors, there is the cut out for the hinge, but on the wardrobe, the hinge attaches directly to the side with no cut out. Thanks on this. It is very frustrating after spending so much time refinishing.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
matches

With the screws going in and out of the wood who knows how many times the might be larger than originally. One thing that you can do I take a farm match they are soft and go one of two things. If the hole is large insert match and break off in hole, or if a small hole shave off a small wedge and insert. By doing this it takes up the slop and they are soft enough that they won't break the existing wood. Also snug don't over tighten.

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts