Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed some way to organize some things at my table, so I went to Lowes a couple days ago and got (2) 2x2's for the minor project and put them up in my storage area. There ain't 9" of straight wood between them.
Road surface Metal

·
Hunter
240 Posts
I've always found that you get better wood by buying bigger. I only buy 1x12 and 2x12 lumber and cut what I need. The best lumber we ever got when I was building furniture commercially was when we started buying 12 foot 1x12s. The worst board in a lift of those was better than the average board in a lift of 10 foot boards.

Hunter

·
Registered
401 Posts
I gave up on trying to find oak worth bringing home from Lowes/Home Depot... Made worse by the exorbitant prices....
The main problem is the way they store it.... Standing on end with no support....

Began buying/drying rough from a sawmill.... Lot of extra work planing and sizing....
But it was either that, or close my shop..... The big box stores have put all the local
lumber yards out of business....

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
This is a great way to organize your stuff on the wall and around the table, and be able to go back and forth between them easily:

AW Extra - Hyper-Organize Your Shop

it is the basis for my organization system ... just another option.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Chris Curl said:
This is a great way to organize your stuff on the wall and around the table, and be able to go back and forth between them easily:

AW Extra - Hyper-Organize Your Shop

it is the basis for my organization system ... just another option.
Great link Chris. If I was starting from the beginning I would prolly go with it.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts