Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My old mallet finally bit the dust and while I'm saddened
by the loss I'm also excited for something new.
My mallet was a square and what I would really like is a round mallet, mostly for mortise work and dovetails.
Is there someone here interested in turning a mallet for me?
Doesn't need to be exotic wood or anything super special. I need a tool that will last me for another 20 years or so.
If you are interested in something like this and have the time shoot me a pm with your price and what you think shipping would cost if you could.
Thanks!
Eric

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I'd love to but my turnings skills are not up to any standards at this time. Heck I got a lathe over a month ago and haven really got to turn yet.
You really don't need a lathe to make a mallet.
My first mallet I did in the swap was done without.
I used my bandsaw and drum sander, plus some carving tools.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Crusader said:
Hey guys! My old mallet finally bit the dust and while I'm saddened by the loss I'm also excited for something new. My mallet was a square and what I would really like is a round mallet, mostly for mortise work and dovetails. Is there someone here interested in turning a mallet for me? Doesn't need to be exotic wood or anything super special. I need a tool that will last me for another 20 years or so. If you are interested in something like this and have the time shoot me a pm with your price and what you think shipping would cost if you could. Thanks! Eric
I can turn you one out of ash, oak, or maple

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've worn out a number of wooden ones, and have gone to Wood is Good. If you want one to look at, get a wooden one. If you want one that's easy on your tools and elbow, get a WIG. I've used one all day for several days, and chisel, wrist, and elbow are no worse for the wear. I have a 12 and 30 oz. They both still look like they are new.

http://www.historic-house-restoration.com/images/mortiesesbeams_005.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts