Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to dye a bowl with transient bright red. Someone told me to first lacquer the bowl then tint the lacquer red and then apply to the bowl. Looking for suggestions.

Thx

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The one and only (sort of permanent) red dye used for plant/wood histology as a stain is Saffranin O.
I can't recall the Color Index number. It is both water and alcohol soluble. I never needed to use it in more than a 1% concentration. I have no idea how well it would perform at, say, 5%.

Baskets of wood sections or digests soaked for 2-3 hours as the very first step in the microscope slide preparation, counter stained with Fast Green FCF and differentiated with Orange G (just in case you run across the process). My wood species slides seem to look as good now as when they were made back in the late 1960's.

See if you can visit some university botany research lab. They might enjoy the puzzle, I know that I would have!

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
I've done a couple of night stands and coffee tables using General Finishes "Cranberry" gel stain. After the stain, I used MinWax Antique Oil Finish. The wood was some really poor quality cherry.

The color was spectacular.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.