85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the main carestics of walnut ? pleas help i need a responce asap
thank you
kissdude

·
Registered
354 Posts
Walnut has pinhead-like open pores which will show up if when the finish of poly or whatever is applied. People will use thing like sanding sealer if they're going for a glass-like finish. Others, like myself, won't do this because their preference is a more "natural" appearance. Strictly a matter of personal taste - neither way is "right" or "wrong." You can also fill the pores by wet sanding with something like BLO.

And kissdude - you'll probably find walnut to be one of the easiest and enjoyable woods to work with...looks great, works great, and smells great when you saw it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks i was going to ask the same question and do you guys recamend any other fourums ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I love working with walnut. I very seldom fill the pores but do give the raw wood a coat of orange shellac before finishing. It really warms the look.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just saw that you are from Bisbee AZ. That's the town where the movie "3:10 To Yuma" was portrayed. Good flick, BTW.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Kissdude: Along with all the other wonderful qualities of walnut, and I have use right smart of it, don't forget it has very toxic dust. Be sure use use a mask when you power sand. The walnut chips that come from your planer might look like they'd make attractive mulch, but they would kill most plants. I love walnut, but I have learned the hard way the truth of what I am telling you. Best regards, Walt Rollison/Littlhof.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
It should read "Never lick a steak knife that Daren has sharpened"
I lick the fatty yummy residue off the flat of steak knives everytime I eat steak .... Maybe it shoul read "Never lick the cutting edge of a steak knife; especially one Daren has sharpened." ;)

Hey Kissdude: Along with all the other wonderful qualities of walnut, and I have use right smart of it, don't forget it has very toxic dust. Be sure use use a mask when you power sand. The walnut chips that come from your planer might look like they'd make attractive mulch, but they would kill most plants. I love walnut, but I have learned the hard way the truth of what I am telling you. Best regards, Walt Rollison/Littlhof.
Good points. And don't forget if you have horses make sure you never let 'em come around the woodshop or sawmill when you are cutting walnut. Horses can have a sever reaction and can even die from getting a whiff of the stuff.

·
Senior Member Grandpa
349 Posts
Not just power sanding. I have to use a mask when ever I am scrollsawing in walnut or it tends to make me sick after 20 or 30 minutes and the bad taste in your mouth stays with you for a long time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts