Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To this end, I am pretty much a hack, this is my first possible worthwhile project. I got a real good deal on some walnut and decided the most appropriate use was to replace my ugly big box computer desk with a writing table.
I began by planning the boards during which my planer quit. Being close, I decided to go ahead and do my glue up and finish by hand planning which is what I did. The butterfly covers a chainsaw dig; those three boards came from the same section.
My question is this; I notice I have a slight bow from end to end of 1/8". Corner to corner I have a 1/4" bow (both are sagging). The table top will be 48"x26"x 13?16" thick at this point, but I am not finished sanding. I intend for my legs to be somewhat less than 2"x2" and aprons of 3" with a slight curve detail in the front apron where your legs might be. I ordered the table top clips from Lee Valley to allow for expansion and contraction which screw to the top and clip within a kerf cut into the inside of the apron.
My question is, will I pull the bow out of the top with my frame, or will I pull my frame into a bow proceeding as it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi ,Ryan I have found that aprons do help pull tops down.If your apron top is flat you should be able to get some help with 3" wide stretchers.1/8 across 48" wide is not that bad.I wouldnt expect it to pull it all out but it will help.
The key now is too get the finish on both sides and stored.Some place flat with weight on top were the temp is consistent.Maybe even covered, stacked under some clean plywood half sheets.
I usually make tops for table near the end after the legs aprons or stretchers.Esp during the summer when day and night temps swing 20 or 30 degrees.When the monsoon moisture starts coming up forget about finewoodworking.At least you have some nice looking walnut.Thats a plus walnut can be very forgiving stability wise.Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts