Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After decades of hunting I finally got a whitetail buck worthy of showcasing. After doing a European skull mount (topic for a different forum), it was time to start deciding on an appropriate base to highlight it. Some bargain bin wide walnut ( not exactly spectacular grain, but the grain followed the shape of the skull nicely) got clead up and it was time to decide on a shape.

I borrowed the curve template I use for the back of the "bog chairs" that I have been building, it followed the shape nicely. The top I rounded in a half circle with a very expensive custom compass. Then it was off to the bandsaw!

Image uploading. Refresh page to view
image-392551840.jpg

Just making sure it looks good as it is drawn.

image-2449861340.jpg

Being a cheap SOB is the mother of invention in my shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
so when are ya gonna show a pic of the buck??? did you boil it down, or just let it sit in the shed to make the mount? no laughing at the buck. but we simply left the one set of horns set outside and made it naturally even the moss is real, bad point something chewed off the one antler. you could also do what we did and mount it with a dream catcher makes a nice set up. dt

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    50.8 KB Views: 204
  • Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    69.3 KB Views: 337

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dt, thanks for sharing, all I will say about the skull here is it was a happy accident that cleaned it up. Day two consisted of sanding and some trial and design for the remainder of the plaque/wall mount. I was going to design it to be used as a sweater hanger for our cold basement, but that got voted down by the Warden( she has final say in the house !). This is a sketch of the design, I was going to laminate a strip of white oak in the middle, and use oak hanger dowels at four points.

image-3269698357.jpg

Instead I am going with a simple circle to hang it on the wall, with two keyhole slots.

Here is my custom sanding machine, took a bit of work to keep the sides square.

image-3589020130.jpg

After it was sanded, I decided it needed something to lighten the edge. A cove cut with my router finished it nicely I think.

image-538778521.jpg

And here it is loosely assembled. I used an 17 degree cut on both ends of the riser block.

image-4049374404.jpg

The rest is going to have to wait a while. Thank you for looking in.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You got it going on for sure. My son and I built two that hold two skulls each. He has them on his wall at his house.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Looking good!

Subscribed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here I have decided to use a keyhole bit to attach the main plaque to the riser, because I am sure I will be putting a different base on it in the future. I used carpet tape to attach a fence to the back of the plaque, and marked out the locations for the slots.
image-3579354385.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And here I found out that no matter how much you plan something out, there will be some small detail that eludes you. I set the bit 3/4 of an inch depth, for maximum amount of material for the screw head to hold onto, but the bit burnt and didn't cut well. Because as you can see from the second pic, I didn't notice that it is only designed to cut about 1/2 and inch total depth, oops, but at least it's a manageable booboo!

image-3529140800.jpg

And here you can see the burn mark 1/4 inch up the shank.

image-3413819616.jpg

And here is the final outcome, hanging on the wall. Definitely not the most complicated of builds, but this was done with zero plans, designed as it was being built. It is also the first time I've attempted a step by step post of one of my projects, and that in itself was a joy. Seeing it mounted on the wall after 2 coats of BLO, with the skull gleaming white against some lovely gun stock Walnut brought back all the memories of the wonderful hunt last year. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
It looks great. You can never go wrong with walnut. It has a very nice color contrast on the skull. Like the finish as well. Great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts