Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what a week. I brought the table to work on Monday thinking I would get it shot. I took a short lunch break today and got it done. It is Walnut, most of which came from Chuck Jones. I did have to buy material for the legs because I didn't want to laminate 2 parts or do a bent lamination.
The top and bottom shelf are 2 part glue ups. The rails are 2- 8 part segmented rings glued together with overlapping joints. The top rail has 24 spindles and the bottom rail was cut into 4 parts with 5 spindles each.
To glue the rails and spindles I mixed west system epoxy to toothpaste consistency and put glue both the rail and shelf holes. then assembled everything all at once. That took some patience but worked perfectly. The spindle tenons were such a good fit that it had to go together just right. fortunately the glue had a little lubricating quality which helped a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments. I've got about 20 yours in that thing. It was fun. I needed a change of pace.

·
Senior Something
1,093 Posts
Beautiful table, I love walnut. You know me by now, I've always got to ask a question. What is "west system epoxy" and why did you choose to use it over standard woodworking glue? Just curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I chose West Systems epoxy because they sell a range of thickeners to go with the epoxy and wanted to try it out. They are industrial grade boat epoxies. My friend Marylin Campbell does some incredible vessels using a clay like epoxy that she mixes up from the West system epoxy and thickener.
I don't normally use epoxy for furniture. I like glues that can be taken apart for later repair if necessary or I'll use yellow glue. It's cheaper than epoxy and bonds stronger than the wood. However most woodworkers glues aren't gap fillers and even though the tenons on the spindles were really good they weren't perfect.
However, the main reason I chose thick epoxy was the assembly. All the spindles fit really good in the holes and it was tricky getting all the parts together. I thought that if I glued them into the table top and let it dry I would be screwed if only one dowel didn't line up perfectly when I glued the rail. So I had this brilliant idea of gluing them all at once. Here's where the epoxy comes in. If I had put yellow glue in all the holes when I turned one of the part upside down to assemble it some glue would invariably run out and be a real hassle to clean up. Since I had the epoxy and knew and I could thicken it to the point it wouldn't run, that was the obvious choice.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That is one very nice piece of work.Now, do you still need my address for shipping or do you have it already?:laughing:
Donny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts