Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

This is my first turning that I've felt is cool enough to post. I've only been at this for a few weeks, but I've turned almost 20 stoppers for the holiday season.

Below is a walnut stopper that I was seeing if I could turn around a knot / inclusion that I misjudged. The grain around it was cool, but the void was huge (couldn't tell). It exploded on the lathe, but instead of stopping, I kept going. I think that sometimes the flaws in wood increase it's beauty.

Any comments and criticism is welcome.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
MidKnight said:
I think that sometimes the flaws in wood increase it's beauty.
In this case I will definitely agree. That turned out beautifully. Plus I love walnut...

Mark

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That's a nice stopper. I've turned close to a 1000 stoppers at this point and I've recently started doing some natural edge ones. There's a definite slice of the population that loves em, and an equally big slice that doesn't. Me personally, I think they're cool. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I made one real similar to that and kept it for myself. I don't get a lot of comments on it but I really enjoy it. Nice job in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I really like it and I also like the look of the flaws. :smile:

Just out of curiosity, how do you attach the wood to the stopper? I’ve never made one but I have about 5 stoppers that I bought from someone and the tops broke off. I’d like to glue them back on only it doesn’t look like the glue would stick to the metal stopper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like it and I also like the look of the flaws. :smile:

Just out of curiosity, how do you attach the wood to the stopper? I’ve never made one but I have about 5 stoppers that I bought from someone and the tops broke off. I’d like to glue them back on only it doesn’t look like the glue would stick to the metal stopper.
The wood is attached to a threaded stud on the top of the base. These versions are half inch long, 3\8" diameter and 16 TPI.

When I make a stopper I drill the blank at the DP and then use a tap create internal threads. I then thread the blank onto a mandrel with the same threads. Turn away. Some people use CA glue when they thread the base into the stopper, but I don't.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
The wood is attached to a threaded stud on the top of the base. These versions are half inch long, 3\8" diameter and 16 TPI.

When I make a stopper I drill the blank at the DP and then use a tap create internal threads. I then thread the blank onto a mandrel with the same threads. Turn away. Some people use CA glue when they thread the base into the stopper, but I don't.
Wow, well that sounds like the way to do it, yours are first class for sure. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info I may have to either figure out how to install a threaded stud or buy new ones because I don't think the glue is going to work,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is amazing.Very good finish also how did you get the walnut so shinny ?
I sand to 600 or 800.

I use CA glue (crazy glue) and boiled linseed oil. Just search YouTube and you'll find people demonstrating varieties of it. I don't go for the "liquid glass" look. This is what I do. I turn the lathe down to 400 and apply a generous coat of BLO with a paper towel. Then I apply a coat of CA again on a paper towel. Next is more BLO but this time I just put a small spot of it on my towel. I pinch the stopper between my fingers using the towel until I feel heat building. Then another application of super glue. Repeat the BLO and glue as much as you like for higher build and gloss. When I'm satisfied I crank the speed up to 1200 and use some brown paper bag and I micro sand it. That's it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very nice. I agree either people love them or hate them. I've turned a few hundred stoppers about 1 out of 25 people like the inclusion or natural edge. I've got a stopper I kept too made of Olive root with a big inclusion I love it. Same goes for bowls with holes or inclusions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You put CA on with a paper towel, how does it not stick ?
Its easier than it sounds.

First protect your lathe bed. Don't want CA on that.

Turn on the lathe to 400 or so. Fold a paper towel so its 4 layers thick. If you don't it can soak thru to your skin. Put a line of glue one half inch long on the towel parallel to the bed and immediately apply. All happens in 5 seconds.

Wait until its not tacky anymore (longer time with more layers and thicker applications) and put on your BLO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts