Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a man that has a portable mill. He has fresh walnut priced at $1.75 a bd ft. Pieces very 8 inches and wider. I haven't messed with green lumber in a long time. Is this a good price? The only place I have to dry it would be to stack it in the basement out of the way.
He has cherry also a little cheaper but around here its hard to find good wide walnut.

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's decent one of the main guys I get lumber from usually sells it dry for 3-4 bucks a foot a while back he offered me 400 ft wet for 300 bucks. I had absolutely no where to store it for it to dry, bit I'm still kicking myself for not taking it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may give him a call. Everybody used to be oak crazy around here. I know this guy ,he owned the toro dealership and retired a few years ago. He showed me his new kubota and saw mill. He had some real pretty wood laying around.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my area, B. Walnut at my sawyer is $3.00 per brd ft. I would jump on that in a minute.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I am in need of walnut, as I am down to my last pc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kind of a long drive for me for one purpose, but I will keep it in mind if I am ever on a trip that way or on my way back from Mass. after visiting family.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked to the guy,it's who I thought/great news! He said most of the cherry is spoken for but not picked up so I can have what I want. Know one has jumped on the walnut and mainly that's what I wanted. I will check it out tomarrow and get a picture if I buy some.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Would like to find some of that around here...I just priced some 4/4 kiln dried walnut this morning....$9.75/bdft......gonna be expensive, but I need some.....maple, on the other hand was only $3.63/bdft.....need that too.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is nice stuff,I wish I could hook you guys up. Hes just is a hobby guy that has a mill. He said he sells it to a lumber yard for the same whole sale price he gave me. He still has a large stack of cherry and walnut. You can't hardly find walnut let alone 10 inch boards around here. Very little splits. He said maybe 6 inch split off ends after it dries.

·
Registered
239 Posts
9.75 a foot! Holy cow I couldn't afford to build anything with lumber that high.
That's why I'm rethinking my TV stand/cabinet build.....might just use oak ply and red oak face frames.....down here in FL, if it isn't pine or cypress, it's expensive.....our sawmill only deals in Florida cypress....real soft, and I detest working with it......

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you can get to Missouri we have tons of Walnut and Oak. At the mill I use, they charge .80/bf. Prices really depend on the area and the abundance of the trees available. Buying green is good on the pocket book, but when you have to wait a year or more for it to dry, it becomes a test of patience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mahogany prices

Hello everyone! I am new to all of this I just recently got interested into building drums, I have bought all the tools I need but now I am looking for wood prices and want to know what are fair prices for all the species of wood? Maple<mahogany,birch,oak,exotic woods etc..Note; I found someone who has mahogany deck wood 250sq ft 3/4" thick various sizes for $300 is that a good deal??

·
Registered
423 Posts
Prices depend on your area and vary greatly. Check out Craigslist for deals in your area and do a Google search for local lumber yards. Most places I have been too are reluctant to give an entire price sheet of their goods as they are constantly changing prices. So if you know what ya want just call and ask about it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I sawed out about 300 bf of walnut last fall. I have it in the barn air drying. Walnut goes very high around here. Sounds like you got a great deal for that price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts