Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use this? I am making a walnut picture frame for a wedding gift, and I was thinking I might try this stuff. I have seen some applied to walnut, and it looked nice. I will be going back to talk to that guy some more, but I'd like some opinions here, if anyone has any. Easy to apply? Does it dry out or leave an oily residue? Sheen?

What I'm really looking for is a rich matte finish, but natural. No tinting.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
There are a number

of finishes that might fall into that category.

You could check http://doctorswoodshop.com/Home.aspx. I have tried some of his products and like them. One thing about walnut oli vs other oils is that it does not go rancid. And I find the color shift with walnut oil is not as drastic as with say BLO or Tung oil.

With a little elbow grease, it come close to a CA finish in turning.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the going rancid thing was something I was wondering about, too. Thanks. My other (and usual) finish is NC Lacquer.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I wouldn't use any oil finish on a picture frame without sealing with a top coat. The chances for it reacting with the picture in the frame is too high.

If they put a picture made from a digital file in the frame, no problem, they can always have one reprinted.

If they put a picture of their grandparents wedding and it's the only copy - disaster.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
All true oil finishes will look eventually the same. When it's all said and done, there's no reason to not just use boiled linseed oil.

If it were me, I would mix up a batch of some oil/varnish mixture. The mixture is equal parts of boiled linseed oil, your favorite varnish or poly varnish and mineral spirits. Wipe on, let set for 15 - 20 minutes and then wipe dry. Let is further dry overnight and apply again. The varnish/poly component in this will provide a much more durable and long lasting finish than just an oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts