Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are funny. :) All there is to a good finish is patience and attention to detail. If you seen torn grain or sanding marks, sand more. I clean the wood with a towel between each grit and look to see if I got rid of the scratches from the last grit. Unfortunately some don't show up until you get to 320 or 400 and then you have to go back to whatever grit was just above what you think caused the scratches. Bummer, but it happens. If you sand to 400 or 600 grit you get a finish like that. It's not that hard. Mostly you have to spend enough time with the first grit, whatever it may be. 80 if you must. Then you have to spend enought time with the next grit to get rid of those bad scratches. After that it goes pretty quick.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
john lucas said:
You guys are funny. :) All there is to a good finish is patience and attention to detail. If you seen torn grain or sanding marks, sand more. I clean the wood with a towel between each grit and look to see if I got rid of the scratches from the last grit. Unfortunately some don't show up until you get to 320 or 400 and then you have to go back to whatever grit was just above what you think caused the scratches. Bummer, but it happens. If you sand to 400 or 600 grit you get a finish like that. It's not that hard. Mostly you have to spend enough time with the first grit, whatever it may be. 80 if you must. Then you have to spend enought time with the next grit to get rid of those bad scratches. After that it goes pretty quick.
Thanks john.. What type of finish is it after standing??

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one has 2 coats of Minwax wipe on poly. Then I rubbed it out with 4/0 steel wool. Then buffed with the Beal buffing system. Normally I would put a few more coats on for protection but this is only going to hold yarn so not much protection would be needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts