Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kind of odd shaped walnut HF is 6X5 and finished with minwax gloss wipe on poly. I say it is a bit oddly shaped because of the tall kind of puckered mouth. The mouth is a bit under 3/4" and the foot is 1". Still waiting for the buffing...Bill...

Attachments

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
That shine is great and you said still waiting on the buffing?

Do you apply the wipe-on poly with a rag while it is still on the lathe?

I assume you made it with the monster hollowing device you posted earlier this week in the forum. That thing must work well.

Another great piece of work. Plans for this one?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Turner,
Very nice. Does it stay put pretty well on its own? I would be afraid my dog's tail would come by and knock it over.:laughing: Did you use a swan neck tool for this one? It doesn't seem like your other tool you made would fit through the opening.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
912 Posts
Very nice! Looks like a great shine already, can only imagine after its been to the buffer. I really like the look of this, has a very nice sweep to the form.

John

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PT, I usually put the first coat of poly on while it is still mounted and "burn in" that coat with a paper towel or cotton patch. The remaining coats (as high as 7 coats) are applied off the lathe using cotton patches. It stands well on its own and survived encounters with the cats whiskers so far. A happy dog's tail might be more than enough to put it on its side though! I had to make a few smaller diameter hollowing tools to get inside the mouth. I usually use 5/8" or larger diameter bars on my homemade steel snake but made the new ones from 3/8" rod. One of those was a swan neck to reach the outer shoulder...Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts