Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I spun some walnut crotch wood bowls, I think they are awsome! Tell me what you think! The first 5 are of the first bowl. The next one had a surprise for me when I cut her open. This wood was so easy to turn! It was beautiful! The second ones shape is kind of bland but the grain makes up for it. I was worried I was going to cut the spalting off so I left it and the shape really shows it all off.

Attachments

· Registered
1,718 Posts
Nice turnings agree like the 2nd one

Reactions: jjboozel

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guglipm63 said:
I see that your shapes are progressing nicely. I like that the lip is sort of ogee shaped. real nice job on all of them. I'm sure your adrenalin is flowing now with ideas
Thank you! This is another peice of crotch I like the top on it. I also loved turning the 3 tired top. Thank you for your words I did some googling and thought I would try some different tops I love it!

Attachments

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jjboozel said:
Thank you! This is another peice of crotch I like the top on it. I also loved turning the 3 tired top. Thank you for your words I did some googling and thought I would try some different tops I love it!
Sorry about the HORRIBLE quality didnt know it was that bad. Camera lens must of had walnut dust on it hahaha ill get better ones. That one is so heavy!

· Registered
792 Posts
jjboozel said:
How would I do that?
cut the log at the point where the two branches come together
How should I center it?
basically it will look more like an oval at this point, I pick where the best point to use as a center, and trim off the oval excess
Will I be Abel to make bowls out of it?
yes. as long as it has the width and depth you desire
I hope that helps

· Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Nice work

Nice job on the bowls Could you fills us in on what you are using for a finish, did the pieces get a chance to dry before the finish etc. Also looks like you are getting better at your wall thickness. Keep up the good work..

Jerry

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wood shavings said:
Nice job on the bowls Could you fills us in on what you are using for a finish, did the pieces get a chance to dry before the finish etc. Also looks like you are getting better at your wall thickness. Keep up the good work..

Jerry
Thank you! And yup sure can 2 simple words Danish Oil. No due to time constraints I can't let them dry before finishing so what I do is oil every 20 minutes buff it out. When I leave the next class continues it for me as I do there's. we normally go until the bowl holds a nice shine. General rule of thumb for verry green wood is 2 weeks. What he try to do is push the water out of the wood and fill the cells with oil. It's worked for me so far. I would like to try epoxy and some point, another thing we do is spray high gloss Polly after oiling I've never done it though. What's your methods?

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MagGeorge said:
They all look wonderful. They have great shapes and wild patterns on gorgeous woods. The finish is beautiful as well. Great job! Looking forward to more of them.
Thank you verry much! I love the grain in them. Today is the last day I have to turn until next year. Speed turning is going to occur going to try to do 2 bowls in an hour and a half!!!

· Registered
95 Posts
Sorry. I meant that YOURS look nice, not mine. I realize that, in my effort to post quickly, my post seems a bit self-congratulatory. Not my intention.

The texturing was done with the Sorby Texturing tool. Very cool tool! Gotta practice a bit to see what sorts of designs you get with which angles, and you need to baby it a bit to keep things neat; but it can produce some good results.

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jgilfor said:
Sorry. I meant that YOURS look nice, not mine. I realize that, in my effort to post quickly, my post seems a bit self-congratulatory. Not my intention.

The texturing was done with the Sorby Texturing tool. Very cool tool! Gotta practice a bit to see what sorts of designs you get with which angles, and you need to baby it a bit to keep things neat; but it can produce some good results.
Not at all! I understood it completely! I ment they look alot alike. Your are beautiful I also tried to put that in there. That sounds really cool. It adds a beautiful texture to it! Where could I potentially get one?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.