Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got another order for a slab table. Walnut crotch cut, a bit sappy, interesting colors and patterns. Going with maple tiger/light quilted bowties. My client wants a lot of variation - so here we go...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Looks nice!!!

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
I like that feathering!!! Nice choice!!!

Reactions: gideon

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Hey
You seem to be doing a lot of these type projects these days.
Fun and somewhat simple, eh?
What are you using to keep the slab flat as a backer? Wild grains will move, you know.

Love this one and love walnut.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i use a heavy slab rear leg. I use two rails for additional stability and sink 6 to 8 #14 x 2" crews in through the top and plug the holes with similar grained wood. FFront rail, I tend to use cross shaped rails with a splayed leg attached.

this is the last walnut table i did

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is nice. I have some large pieces of maple I have yet to cut up to make tables, if the wood turns out good, so I am gleaning ideas.

Thanks for posting.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Nice!!!! I like !!!

Reactions: gideon

·
Senior Something
1,115 Posts
i use a heavy slab rear leg. I use two rails for additional stability and sink 6 to 8 #14 x 2" crews in through the top and plug the holes with similar grained wood. FFront rail, I tend to use cross shaped rails with a splayed leg attached.

this is the last walnut table i did
Would you get the same strenght and stablity if you were to run the screws from the underside? I hate like all heck to have to drill holes in that beautiful top. I wouldn't be as lucky as you in hiding the holes.

Also, you may have covered this in another thread I think (I apologize), but if the cross bracing is screwed from the top, how do you allow for wood movement?

Beautiful table by the way.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you get the same strenght and stablity if you were to run the screws from the underside? I hate like all heck to have to drill holes in that beautiful top. I wouldn't be as lucky as you in hiding the holes.

Also, you may have covered this in another thread I think (I apologize), but if the cross bracing is screwed from the top, how do you allow for wood movement?

Beautiful table by the way.
There are 4 screws going in thru the top into the rear slab leg. the screws with all the bracing run through the rails into the top so nothing goes through the top slab there.

to deal with with movement, I bore larger holes than the shaft diameters of the screws. So as the wood moves, the screw shafts have room to shift around.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Gotta say Gideon.

Even though this and the last table of yours are similar in top surfaces, I like the base/legs better on this one over the last.
The other just seemed too spindly in the legs. By adding the slab end on this one, it bulks it up some.
Gives it a little beef to match the top surface.

And I love "Live Edge" projects. It's what I do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts