Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's been awhile since I've been here. Started on a display cabinet for my wife. Going to be constructed of black walnut, 52"w X 42"h X 15"deep. My brother gave me 4 pieces of glass, 20 years ago, 1/4 x 41 x 12 and I've been wanting to use it. It'll have 2 glass shelves and a glass top. Since the glass isn't quite large enough, I'll have to construct a wood frame around it. The sides will be framed glass. I haven't decided on the doors yet. I normally make hinged doors, but I've been thinking about sliding glass. Sorry no drawing. All I have are chicken scratches on pieces of paper.
Furniture Table Tableware Drinkware Serveware

I got my cabinet bottom ready to join. After I sucked down a couple of cups of coffee and pondered on it for awhile, I finally went to work.
Composite material Gas Grass Tool Flooring
Wood Gas Wood stain Hardwood Road surface

cutting a straight edge to start.
Plant Wood Motor vehicle Outdoor furniture Tree

Since I'm working with rough lumber, warped, knotted and crooked, I ripped most at 2.5 inches wide or what ever worked out. Then planed it all to the same thickness, 5/8th thick? Laid it out on the bench to take a look at.
Wood Road surface Composite material Building material Brickwork

I'll play around with grain orientation before joining. I'll post as I progress.
Roy

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's been awhile since I've been here. Started on a display cabinet for my wife. Going to be constructed of black walnut, 52"w X 42"h X 15"deep. My brother gave me 4 pieces of glass, 20 years ago, 1/4 x 41 x 12 and I've been wanting to use it. It'll have 2 glass shelves and a glass top. Since the glass isn't quite large enough, I'll have to construct a wood frame around it. The sides will be framed glass. I haven't decided on the doors yet. I normally make hinged doors, but I've been thinking about sliding glass. Sorry no drawing. All I have are chicken scratches on pieces of paper. View attachment 444819 I got my cabinet bottom ready to join. After I sucked down a couple of cups of coffee and pondered on it for awhile, I finally went to work. View attachment 444823 View attachment 444820 cutting a straight edge to start. View attachment 444821 Since I'm working with rough lumber, warped, knotted and crooked, I ripped most at 2.5 inches wide or what ever worked out. Then planed it all to the same thickness, 5/8th thick? Laid it out on the bench to take a look at. View attachment 444822 I'll play around with grain orientation before joining. I'll post as I progress.
Roy

Just a suggestion I like tom draw a carpenters triangle on my stock before I rip it up so I can put it back together the exact same way. Grain orientation can make or brake a piece.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
You’ve got a real grain matching dilemma there, especially with the sapwood. No way to keep wider boards, huh?

Contrary to the lumber suppliers, I consider sapwood a defect in walnut.
Different cuts of lumber. Some of this wood has been stored in a barn for several years. If it looks to "perfect" it'll look store bought. I like a little variation with wood grain. It'll work out, I hope.

Anyhow working on my sketching. Got to make sure I know what I'm doing before I just start wacking wood off.
Rectangle Font Handwriting Line Parallel

Rough sketch of front view. I think I had a little to much coffee when I glued this up
Wood Table Tool Gas Hardwood

It'll be ok. I glued up my rails, corner posts, also.

It'll be a few days before I get to work on it. Untill then thanks for you alls input and for watching.
Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts