Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree-great bowl there Mike.

Geez---you have that many rough outs?? (Just pickin')

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Very nice. Everyone should look at this. No sanding marks, tearout marks or bruised wood. The finish is very clean without being too thick looking. The form is nice. Just a very nice example of a well turned and finished bowl. My hat's off to you sir.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tom,
Most of the turnings I do, I use brushing lacquer by minwax, ( one of the few minwax products I use). Available at Home Depot in a quart can. Now here's the secret, I use my old white tube socks to apply it. I just wet a small area of the tube sock then just rub it in till it's gone. It dries in less than a minute or so. 3-4 coats, let it set for ten minutes while I clean up my mess then I take it to the buffer. I have a jet 1 1/2 hp buffer with the three different Beale wheels on it. First wheel has tripoli compound (brown), second wheel is white diamond rouge, third wheel is pure carnauba wax. The buffing leaves a very smooth finish, the white diamond brings out the shine, and the wax makes it feel slippery and smells good while you're putting it on. Very easy to do and produces good results.
Mike Hawkins ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Amazing bowl! Great shape, gorgeous walnut, the carving added cool accents and textures and the finish is flawless. Excellent job!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts