Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Walnut & Ash Contemplation Bench Build Thread - Hand tools (& a bit of table saw)

Hello! I've been behind on posting progress on another build that I have going and have flat out just neglected to start a thread for this one. Well, here it is so far. I am building a small, single seat bench. The seat is 6/4-ish walnut that I got from Mike1950. It was planed when I got it from him and had some bark and live edge. There was a large split that I have stabilized with three Duthmen (1 top, two on bottom). The rest of the bench is made from a large ash beam that I had picked up from my local hardwood guy. It was originally about 8' long and around 3 3/16" x 5 1/4". After I cut my selected chunks by hand from the original beam, I seat about with my hand planes making it square and flat. Needless-to-say, this was a long process that I visited on and off while working on other things. I made a ton of shavings, measured often, and got it pretty square. I used my table saw to rip some excess material off of the three lengths of ash as I don't have a hand rip saw as of yet. I also used my table saw for the initial cuts for the mortises (grooves? I am not sure exactly what to call these joints) in the sides of the legs. I chiseled the material out of the center by hand. I also cut the tenon (or cut out the shoulder? Again, I am not really sure how to classify these joints) with a hard back hand saw and cleaned up with a chisel. The three parts of the base fit VERY snug from friction alone, but I chose to knock them apart and secure them with some epoxy as well--for good measure. I then cut blind mortises (about 5/8" deep) into the bottom of the seat for the legs to fit into.






Well, this is where I am now. This has been a on-again, off-again project, but I am going to focus on getting it completed now in the next few weeks. I'll do my best to document some more as I clean up everything and start finishing.

I am realizing more than before how bad these phone pictures are. I'll try and document better--especially with the finished project!:thumbsup:
 

·
(clever wood pun here)
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got more done over the last few days. I finished boring the 7/8" holes on the other side of the bench, cut the dowels with some shallow channels on the sides for glue and air to escape.

View attachment 75048

The large dowels created some additional glue are and reinforced the joint from sliding front to back. After this, I drilled several approximately 1" deep 3/8" holes in the middle of the joint between the leg and the stretcher. There are 8 dowels total used for locking the joint from sliding apart.

ForumRunner_20130711_021527.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_021456.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_021356.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_021412.jpg

I trimmed all of the dowels with my Japanese zero kerf flush cut saw. Then, I sanded the areas and did some finish sanding throughout. I then epoxied the legs into the stopped mortises in the bottom of the seat. I am in the process of finishing this project and another at the same time. More photos to come!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Nice work Ben! I believe you could safely stand an elephant on that bench. The joinery is solid and the walnut seat is beautiful! What's your finish?
 

·
(clever wood pun here)
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work Ben! I believe you could safely stand an elephant on that bench. The joinery is solid and the walnut seat is beautiful! What's your finish?
Thanks! The finish is many, many coats of wipe on satin finish polyurethane. I plan for this to be my seat in my shop to scratch my head and think about whatever I have just screwed up--hence the contemplation. I was inspired by ThomasOSB's benches from last year. I didn't set out to build it until the right hunks of wood were sitting near one another, and then it just started to happen. The ash was a big beam that I had pi led up for a mallet build. Sure, I didn't need a big 8' beam for one mallet...that is why I had so much extra! The seat I got with some other wood from Mike1950. I kept the saw marks in tact on the ends because they were just too beautiful to part with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top