Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearly finished with a solid walnut gate leg, drop leaf, table and it's time to consider the finish. I carefully selected the boards for the top and leaves for both color (on the dark side) and grain. Inside the borders is a 1/4 maple "pinstripe," which I ripped from the whitest piece of maple I could find. So as to preserve the contrast, I would like to keep the maple as bright as possible. I would prefer a high gloss finish and I'm leaning toward giving it numerous coats of high-gloss poly. The base and legs are mostly covered by the leaves, so I'm not too concerned there and plan to use semi-gloss poly.

This has been my most ambitious project to date, there's awful amount of work in it, and it's turned out very nice - I don't want to goof on the finish. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
What is normally done with walnut when you finish it us to use a pastewood grain filler. Since you have the maple in it if you do this you should mask off the maple so you don't get the grain filler on it since it contains a stain. It's kinda like a woodputty that is a little thicker than paint you brush on and let it thicken. Then you squeege it into the grain and rub off the excess with a rag rubbing it in a circular motion. Sherwin Williams sells a good one but you will have to have it tinted for walnut. If you do get a little on the maple it can be sanded off once dry. Normally a little light sanding of the walnut is good after the filler has cured. Then for a finish because of the maple you should use a finish that is non-yellowing. You could use any water based finish or cab acrylic lacquer or a pre-catalyzed lacquer but they dry so fast it would do better if you sprayed the finish. An oil based poly will yellow as it ages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts