Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fighting the fight.....
231 Posts
Beautiful work Turner!!

I love the contrast of the Walnut on the Cedar. The shine is awesome!!

Great lookin piece. What are you going to use it for?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Turner,
Beautiful cannister. That cedar really turns out nice. Nice finish on there, too. I could just see that thing full of M & M's. .........mmmmmmm.....
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I guess that answers my question about whether you could turn red cedar. Nice little canister and again great finish on it. Keep those pictures coming.

John

I think I would fill the hollow form from the other thread with M&M's and then transfer a few at a time to this. Course I love me some M&M's!!!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This a a gift for my wife's best friend.v I think it will end up holding cookies. The finish is pretty simple.The lid has about 3 coats of minwax wipe on satin poly. Applied with a 2" square cotton patch from cut up old T shirts. I wet sand between coats of poly with black 600 grit wet/dry paper using water as a lubricant. DO=Danish oil. This is a really good deep penetrating oil finish avaliable at the borgs. Two coats of oil and let it dry for 72 hours. If you wish you can put a poly or lacquer finish over it but I chose to leave the walnut alone except for the DO. I then used my buffing system using two of the 3 wheels(each wheel uses a different grit polishing compound). They say not to use the white diamond polish on Walnut(or other naturally dark woods) or the voids in the grain will fill with the white diamond polish and will not come off easily. So The Walnut was polished with the tripoli compound and then waxed/buffed to get the satin shine. Hope I answere everyones questions....Bill...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts