Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

What is the best material for making wall cabinets?

I'm new to woodworking and am in the process of putting together a small shop. I would like to build some wall cabinets for storage. I've looked at some plans and see that they are using 3/4" plywood. I picked up some 3/4 Birch veneer plywood at our local store and I keep thinking this stuff is heavy, much too heavy. Is 3/4" really what I should use?

Thank you

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Shop storage can entail some heavt duty requirements even if you think it will not at first. Tools, heavy cans of stuff, stuff getting thrown in and dragged out. I would either stick with 3/4 plywood or MDF or 1/2 Baltic Birch using cleats and rails with glue and screw construction. Otherwise you need to dado the carcass together and you don't sound ready to tackle that.
The Baltic Birch is my choice. Heavy duty requirments require heavy duty materials.
You could also use solid solid 4/4 stock for vertical dividers and then insatll shelves on cleats, then build the face frames out of 1x3 and hand the doors on that.
This is just my preference there are other options just as good I'm sure.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
I'm afraid that mostly veneered chipboard used in UK. The veneer is usually a printed foil that gives a good grain appearance.

Rare to find solid wood used for anything these days as so expensive.
johnep

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info I will definitely take it into consideration. I was just concerned for the shear weight of the cabinet. I haven't actually weighed the materials but I would easily guess that the final weight of the cabinet would be close to 60 or 70 pounds.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Hi;

I have to agree with Texas in choice of materials. Better safe than sorry. Built properly, you'll only have to do it once.

Be certain the backs are securely attached, so when you hang it on the wall, it stays there.

A recessed back with cleats attached, with one edge cut on a 45 degree angle, and the reverse mounted on the wall will make them easy to mount and dismount, as well as provide a strong mounting method.

I built temporary cabinets about twenty five years ago, which have been moves to several shops over the years, and we still use them.

A little research and planning before the fact can save time and money later.

Have fun;

Lee

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Thanks for the info I will definitely take it into consideration. I was just concerned for the shear weight of the cabinet. I haven't actually weighed the materials but I would easily guess that the final weight of the cabinet would be close to 60 or 70 pounds.

Make it out of particle board or MDF and then tell me your plywood cabinet is heavy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built the first cabinet this weekend. I used the 3/4 Birch veneer I had. I guess its not too heavy. I found hangers that claim to support up to 350 lbs when screwed into studs. I still have to stain and wax before I put it up but overall it looks nice.

I would never think of making it out of MDF that would be far too heavy, besides I don't like MDF.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Use what you like

Use which ever 3/4 material you wish solid or ply.
I use a full width screw strip on the inside top/bottom when possible, it lets you hit more studs if the cab is wide enough.
jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts