Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Getting the rim on will require blacksmithing skills.

Sure there will be a vid on utube. I remember seeing wheels being made on Discovery TV.
johnep

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wagon wheels

thanks , but it's plans i really need, the wheels are for ornimental use only, as in gate's, any and all help appretiated,

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome Dave!
I started this thread a while back.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1355

Although it is for a spinning wheel, the same principles apply in a purely decorative wagon wheel. It's a start, there was a lot of good advice given there.

I am working on some CAD drawings for the wheel now. As soon as I get the hub and dimensioning done I can scale it up to wagon size and get a copy to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, looked up your thread, lots of good replies, thanks, as i've only just found this site i had'nt seen any of this before, I don't want to be a boring, thanks for taking the time

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dave,
I'm near done with the CAD drawing, but I need a little help from you.

What will be the outside diameter of the wheel you intend to build, and how thick and wide do you want the tread?

Tweegs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi tweegs. have'nt thought too much about the size but i would think about 2ft 6" high would look good. not sure about the width the as long as it's in proportion, thank you for taking the time, and making the effort, i really appretiate it, Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
OK Dave,
I have the drawings done. My PDF creator puked but I did manage to get them all in JPEG format. There are about 12 docs.
If you'll send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll get them off to you.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I know building wagon wheels would be fun and challenging but if you are just needing some for a gate, you can buy them cheep at www.harberfrieght.com.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have seen them wagon wheels [ some others have too I'm sure] used for overhang lights. Just like an old west theme.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
In Canada PM means Prime Minister, or grand Poohbah of the federal government. Kind of like your president, but without the huge Army, Airforce, navy, and all that other stuff.

Just Kiddin'

Gerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts