Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite some time I've been wanting to try to build a truck model. Kenbo's and Buggyman's build threads has been a great inspiration and I wanted to see what I could achive. Then I saw Diamondt's incredible build and I almost gave it all up. No way I would ever come near that standard. Oh well, I'll do my best and see were that takes me.

I've been thinking about this for a long time and how to approach a project like this. My initial thought was to build a model of the workhorse on the swedish roads, the Volvo FH16 long hauler:

Transport Vehicle Mode of transport Trailer Truck

When I considered this I realized there was some major problems. This rig is 25.25 metres long (83 feet). I wanted to build a model of a rather big scale so I could have some details on it. But in a scale of 1:12 this sucker would be over 2 metres (7 feet) long and even 1:24 would be 3.5 feet. Fun to build, but what would I do with the finished model? I would have to build a garage too. :laughing:

I decided to skip that plan and try to build a model of this one instead:

Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Truck Commercial vehicle

It's a Volvo FE 42R. 18 tons, 320 HP. Nothing spectacular at all but in a scale of 1:16 I think I'll be able to add some details to it. The length of the model will be around 600 mm (24").

I have no plans so I'll have to build it from pictures and some measurements from the the manufacturers brochure. I'll work on this on and off so the build will take some time. Don't expect any Kenbo-pace here.

Allright, enough talking, time to hit the workshop. I'll mainly use alder for this build with some parts in birch. For contrasting parts I would have loved some walnut but I have no access to that so I'll have to do with rowan for those parts.

I started with the frame and ripped two pieces of birch for that. The reason for that choise is that these parts has to be bent and birch bends very well. I pulled out my steamer and fired it up.

Furniture Table Room Wood Bench

The old rule says steam 1 hour for every inch of wood thickness. The frame parts are 6 mm (1/4") so that gives 15 minutes.

I had to build a clamping jig so the steamed parts would have the desired curve. With steam bending there is always the problem of spring back so the shape of the jig is very much a guesswork.

Wood Plywood Table Hardwood

When the 15 minutes are gone it's a real hurry to get the pieces clamped, these thin parts cool off quickly.

Tool Workbench Clamp Table Wood

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I unclamped the pieces I discovered to my surprise and content that they were very close to the desired shape.

Wood Table Furniture

Next step was to make and assemble the crossmembers.

This is were I am today. My plan is to start with the rear axle tomorrow. Welcome to watch then.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the rear axle I started with turning a spindle with a "bump" in the middle. That bump will be the differential case.

As the rest of the axle is square and one side of the differential case is flat I took it off the lathe and shaped that by hand.

Then I set it up in the lathe again and turned the axle ends. I had good use for my homemade tenon turning tool.

Machine tool Machine Tool

Next was to turn the lid for the differential case.

Metal

The prop shaft is connected offset to the lid so that took some handshaping.

Wood

Here is the lid bolted on. I also made and installed the brake anchor plates and the air chambers

Finial

All in all I had a good day in the shop today and I'm satisfied with the result so far.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
This is a model build I need to watch.

Give Volvo a phone call. Explain what you're doing. They might surprise you.

Good friend of mine did a frame up restoration of a 1972 Volvo P1800. Needed Volvo's help with something to do with the frame.
They sent him a whole pile of dimensions. He was able to buy a complete, factory fresh, chrome kit for the entire car.
The car is a daily driver. Many near accidents distracting lookers.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I managed to have some shoptime tonight so i decided to start with the wheels. I pulled out a piece of rowan that I resawed and planed.

Plywood Wood Hardwood Table Square

Next was to figure out the size of the wheels. Piece of cake, I thought, that's written on the tires. Well, the numbers on these tires says 315/80 R 22.5. Now, whats that? Google to find out, turns out that 315 is tire width in mm, 80 is tire height in percent of width and 22.5 is rim diameter in inches. Mm, percent and inches, who was the drunken engineer who came up with that system? :laughing:

Ok, so the rims are 22.5", that's equal to 571.5 mm. Divided with 16 for the scale we get 35.7 mm. Yohoo, that means I can use a 35 mm drill bit for the rim holes. (No one will notice the 0.7 mm difference :no:)

So I drilled the holes and cut out the tire blanks on the bandsaw.

Cylinder Beige Plastic

Then I turned a slightly conical mandrel and pressed on the blanks for turning

Machine

And the result is a stack of tires.

Thread Twine Beige Paper Plastic

After that it was time for the rims. I tuned a dowel and made a jig for drilling holes. It was quite a challenge to get the holes equally spaced.

Machine tool Tool accessory Wood Machine Tool

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the holes drilled I set up the rim blank in the lathe again and turned it to the exact diameter.

Machine Machine tool Wood Metal

I also cut it to length.

Then I pressed on and glued the tires in place. (The rear axle has double tires). This, I can tell you, was not easy. I wanted a tight fit but with glue on the tires they were almost impossible to get on. With a bit of luck I managed to get them on and aligned and spaced correctly.

With the tires on I drilled out the cavity in the rim.

Machine Machine tool Auto part Metal lathe Tool and cutter grinder

Thread Wool Beige Twine Rim

Now, were did I put that little allen key? :furious:
Obviously it's time to call it a day and do some clean up.
Thanks for watching.

Machine tool Machine Toolroom Tool

Reactions: Kenbo
1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.