Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting my workbench build and am wondering if there is a front vise that just attaches with screws under the top. I will have dog holes in the bench and want a vise with dog holes to use. The top will be around 2.5 to 3" thick when done depending on the flattening process. Any advice?

I am concerned about having to cut a relief for the vise under the top. Is it as simple as thickening the top where the vise attaches? I apologize if this is a dumb question but I have never had a face vise before and want to get it right. Thx guys/gals.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

·
7,222 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first one you posted is what I have in mind. Sorry for confusion. Thx

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

·
7,222 Posts
The first one you posted is what I have in mind. Sorry for confusion. Thx
It is up to you whether you install such a vise on the underside with or without a cut-out for the vise.

The difference will be the height of the jaws you need to make. Should not be a problem to install without a cut-out. Just means deeper jaws, which will likely be useful.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. That answers my question perfectly. Guess I didn't know how to articulate it right. I appreciate the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts