Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a good vise and there are so many to chose from, including prices.
Opted to go with an older "Made In The U.S.A." one.

Came across this one, but there is little information on the maker.
C. Christiansen is the name of the maker.

In the process of cleaning it up, have got the help from Dave Paine again, to further it's completion and install.

Here are some before pics, and anyone who has information on the maker...would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Vise

Hi!
Sorry we can't help you with more 411 on vise :huh:!
That vise you have is beautiful, indeed :yes:!
Hang in there, someone else on forum is likely to know!
Good Luck and Best,
Marena and Vinny

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Cant say I am familiar with this type of vise. Looking forward to seeing what you do

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link and the interest.

Did come across some old ads from Popular Mechanics from the early 1900's

And a couple of pics of the clean-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Clean up almost done,

May do a little more to "Ginger Bread" it.

Do have a little surprise coming from Dave Paine to make this vise fully functional.

Hope he shows his "how too" in this thread.

;)

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Looking very good.

It just needs a little bit of wood "bling".

Not a lot to offer in the way of "How To".

To make a handle :
a) Go to a local hardware store and purchase a piece of ideally hardwood dowel of relevant diameter. Cut off a length, then glue or screw on a small block of wood on either end.

b) Have a friend who is a wood turner who has some available off cuts so that he can make this.

Beech_vise_handle_blank_2793.jpg

Into this with the help of a small piece of cherry scrap for a knob for the other end to allow installation.

Vise_handle_with_cherry_knob_2803.jpg

The vise needs some wooden jaws.
a) Cut some pieces of 3/4in plywood to relevant size

b) Have a friend who is a wood worker who no longer used a short board of white oak, and has a good amount of walnut to be able to glue together to make nice thick jaws which can be drilled for 3/4in bench dogs.

The 4/4 walnut was ripped down the middle on the table saw.

Vise_jaws_second_set_2804.jpg

The first jaw being glued. It does help to have a lot of clamps and a flat granite slab to clamp against.

Vise_jaw_first_set_glued_2805.jpg

The second jaw is presently being glued. Once the jaws are glued, then need to be planed or sanded to be flat and parallel.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'll take some of that $2 action in the classified ad Acowboy posted. Nice find

·
7,222 Posts
Todays progress. The jaws were glued, then sanded on my drum sander. Sad to say the drum sander made the faces nice and wavy even though I fed slow and very light pass.

Time to resort to tried and true hand planing.

The walnut faces after hand planing.

Vise_jaws_after_sanding_planing_2809.jpg

The shavings look like a lot, but not much thickness was removed, just getting reasonably flat.

Vise_jaws_hand_plane_shavings_2811.jpg

Test fit for flat by placing together. I call this "NSB" - No So Bad. :laughing:

Vise_jaws_test_for_parallel_2810.jpg

Next step mark out for drilling holes for bench dogs.

My compound table and milling vise make this an easy task. The combination holds the piece very solid. I am able to drill much cleaner holes with less burning since no vibration or movement.

Also no need to unclamp to move, just wind the handles to the next position.

Vise_jaws_holes_drilled_for_bench_dogs_2814.jpg

Acowboy needs a spacer to increase the depth of clamping in the jaws. A scrap piece of cherry. I had to cut a piece of hickory. My other scraps of relevant size were not thick enough. The pieces ready for gluing.

Vise_spacer_pieces_ready_for_gluing_2815.jpg

Next step will be to mark and drill the jaws for the guide and screw holes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That vise has real nice lines. That's what I like about the older vises they look and work great much better then modern vises. Very nice

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Got a package from Dave Paine today..

Special thanks to Dave again....

Seeing is believing..

Still have to mount it and put a finish on the wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
vise

I just got a Wilton vise very similar to yours and in like condition. Mine has the little dog that slides up and down for clamping. I plan to put it at the foot of my bench as I have a modern version of it on the front of it. Nice restoration work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a few shots of the finish applied, used Watco Teak oil for the jaws and dogs.

Handle has one coat of Watco Danish oil dark walnut, followed up with teak oil.

Could not resist to see how it would look with the walnut showing, still has the NSB fit with the jaws closed. Any thoughts...?

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Could not resist to see how it would look with the walnut showing, still has the NSB fit with the jaws closed. Any thoughts...?
I thought you may want the walnut showing to you and any visitors. :icon_smile:

Looking very good. :thumbsup:

It is desired for the jaws to close under pressure. If there is still an "NSB" issue when tightened, then my normal approach is to shim the rear jaw to remove the gap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looking good!

Reactions: acowboy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts