Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slick! What type of wood and paint do you use for the bobbers?
I get yellow poplar dowels at Lowes in one inch. and 3/16 inch. I cut the one inch dowels into 8 inch lengths and mount them in the chuck using a inverted cone shaped live center to center the other end. Once the dowel is centered, I back off the tail stock and put in a jacobs chuck with a 3/16 drill and drill into the dowel as deep as I can go. (about 2 inches with the bit I have. Then I take out the jacobs chuck and drill and turn the shape I want. The last cut is a very fine light cut with a skew to make the surface as smooth as possible. then I sand it smooth. Last I use the skew to part off the body of the bobber, at just under the depth that I drilled the hole so when it comes off the lathe, the hole is all the way through. Then I use the remnant of the hole in the shortened dowel, to drill another 2 inches deep and shape the next bobber body.. . I put a drop of wood glue down the hole and insert a 3 to 4 inch section of 3/16 dowel for the bobber shaft. when the glue I dry, I mount the shaft in the pin jaws of my chuck and final sand, round off the ends of the shaft and give a coat of wipe on poly as a sealer. When that is dry, I use Rustoleum brand water based paint to paint the bobber and have spring hinged clothes pins on hooks as clamps to hold the bobbers as they dry. Once the solid color is dry, I mount the shaft in a variable speed drill, and use oil based paint pens from Walmart's crafts dept to paint the strips while the bobber spins slowly in the drill. A keyless chuck makes it easy to mount in the drill and remove. Once I have the stripes, I again hang them in the clothes pins till dry. I use a pin vise to drill a fine hole in the end and put in an 8mm screw eye to hang them. (Dollar General sells gold and silver paint pens in their little craft section and the paint is really good. The end result really looks like a sheet of polished metal)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts