Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
@firehawkmph
This is from Sears 1951 catalog. I think it is interesting to look at the accessories they sold, especially the multi-speed attachment. Someone is making a kit like it now, a friend just bought one for his drill press.
I have the table top model that’s on the right in the first pic. I have most of the attachments, the multi speed adapter, mortising attachment, shaper attachment, and planer. The ms adapter adds another pulley and belt and allows speeds up to around 17000 rpms.
Newspaper Publication Font Material property Motor vehicle

Drill presses Font Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
@firehawkmph

Pretty cool that you have all of those attachments. Curious - how did you come about all of it? Bought it all at one time? Piece by piece? Was it in the family?

I just noticed the catalog lists it as 11 speeds, 20 speeds with the MS adapter. I have a newer Craftsman floor model (~1975). They switched to a smaller belt with 8-step pulleys, for 8 speeds. I couldn't figure out how they got so many speeds out of yours with 4 step pulleys, so I had to find an owners manual online to see. I never would have thought to offset the pulleys to get more speeds. Makes me wonder if I could do that with mine even though it isn't mentioned in the manual.
I bought mine back around 1980, belonged to some young guy’s uncle. Everything came with it including the owners manual. I also bought from him the matching bandsaw, which I no longer have. Gave it to a cousin when I bought my Jet bandsaw. The drill press has essentially three sets of stepped pulleys with two belts connecting them.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts