Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about starting a thread where we can show pieces of vintage equipment we run across? Not everyday stuff we all know about, but something different? I tried to see if there is already a thread like this on here, but didn't find one. Admin, please close this one down if you are aware of another like this. And point us to the other thread.

I'll start:

Saw this at an online listing for an estate sale. I believe the picture of the name plate is from the drill press. It's not obvious, but it doesn't seem to match up to any thing else they are showing. A quick Google search didn't bring up anything on the company (other than this: Trade catalogs from McDowell, Stocker & Co.). The motor is obviously not original, and it looks like, from the pullies, that someone maybe attempted to make it mulit-speed.

If it was made at the address shown, it's interesting to think that back then there were factories in that area of Chicago. Today it is all high rise office space. It's about 2 blocks away from the "Sears" Tower.

Wood Plant Floor Gas Machine

Wood Rectangle Font Artifact Brick

This vise is also listed at the sale. Google did bring up info on Morgan. Again, another Chicago Company. It's surprising to see how many manufacturers were in Chicago. And, when I see old equipment in the Chicago area, how often it was made there. Maybe shipping wasn't as common back then, so things tended to be made locally?

Gas Engineering Machine tool Machine Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Grey Font Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My oldest machine is a Craftsman drill press from 1951, made by King Seeley Corporation for Sears.
@firehawkmph
This is from Sears 1951 catalog. I think it is interesting to look at the accessories they sold, especially the multi-speed attachment. Someone is making a kit like it now, a friend just bought one for his drill press.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@firehawkmph

Pretty cool that you have all of those attachments. Curious - how did you come about all of it? Bought it all at one time? Piece by piece? Was it in the family?

I just noticed the catalog lists it as 11 speeds, 20 speeds with the MS adapter. I have a newer Craftsman floor model (~1975). They switched to a smaller belt with 8-step pulleys, for 8 speeds. I couldn't figure out how they got so many speeds out of yours with 4 step pulleys, so I had to find an owners manual online to see. I never would have thought to offset the pulleys to get more speeds. Makes me wonder if I could do that with mine even though it isn't mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never got good pictures of it, but my Craftsman/DeWalt/Montgomery Ward 12" RAS is almost as killer as the Unipoint.
@Rick Christopherson

Is this the saw you are referring too? I think Sears started selling the DeWalt around 1977. I assume they sold pretty well because they started to sell the same saw as a Craftsman around 1982.

I agree it is an impressive saw, but for me it just doesn't have the style of the Unipoint. I'd put it a little farther away than "almost as killer as...". :)

In spite of that, I wouldn't mind having the DeWalt/Craftsman (long-time association with Sears, so I'd have to skip the Wards version).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts