Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about starting a thread where we can show pieces of vintage equipment we run across? Not everyday stuff we all know about, but something different? I tried to see if there is already a thread like this on here, but didn't find one. Admin, please close this one down if you are aware of another like this. And point us to the other thread.

I'll start:

Saw this at an online listing for an estate sale. I believe the picture of the name plate is from the drill press. It's not obvious, but it doesn't seem to match up to any thing else they are showing. A quick Google search didn't bring up anything on the company (other than this: Trade catalogs from McDowell, Stocker & Co.). The motor is obviously not original, and it looks like, from the pullies, that someone maybe attempted to make it mulit-speed.

If it was made at the address shown, it's interesting to think that back then there were factories in that area of Chicago. Today it is all high rise office space. It's about 2 blocks away from the "Sears" Tower.

Wood Plant Floor Gas Machine

Wood Rectangle Font Artifact Brick

This vise is also listed at the sale. Google did bring up info on Morgan. Again, another Chicago Company. It's surprising to see how many manufacturers were in Chicago. And, when I see old equipment in the Chicago area, how often it was made there. Maybe shipping wasn't as common back then, so things tended to be made locally?

Gas Engineering Machine tool Machine Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Grey Font Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My oldest machine is a Craftsman drill press from 1951, made by King Seeley Corporation for Sears.
@firehawkmph
This is from Sears 1951 catalog. I think it is interesting to look at the accessories they sold, especially the multi-speed attachment. Someone is making a kit like it now, a friend just bought one for his drill press.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
@firehawkmph
This is from Sears 1951 catalog. I think it is interesting to look at the accessories they sold, especially the multi-speed attachment. Someone is making a kit like it now, a friend just bought one for his drill press.
I have the table top model that’s on the right in the first pic. I have most of the attachments, the multi speed adapter, mortising attachment, shaper attachment, and planer. The ms adapter adds another pulley and belt and allows speeds up to around 17000 rpms.
Newspaper Publication Font Material property Motor vehicle

Drill presses Font Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@firehawkmph

Pretty cool that you have all of those attachments. Curious - how did you come about all of it? Bought it all at one time? Piece by piece? Was it in the family?

I just noticed the catalog lists it as 11 speeds, 20 speeds with the MS adapter. I have a newer Craftsman floor model (~1975). They switched to a smaller belt with 8-step pulleys, for 8 speeds. I couldn't figure out how they got so many speeds out of yours with 4 step pulleys, so I had to find an owners manual online to see. I never would have thought to offset the pulleys to get more speeds. Makes me wonder if I could do that with mine even though it isn't mentioned in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
@firehawkmph

Pretty cool that you have all of those attachments. Curious - how did you come about all of it? Bought it all at one time? Piece by piece? Was it in the family?

I just noticed the catalog lists it as 11 speeds, 20 speeds with the MS adapter. I have a newer Craftsman floor model (~1975). They switched to a smaller belt with 8-step pulleys, for 8 speeds. I couldn't figure out how they got so many speeds out of yours with 4 step pulleys, so I had to find an owners manual online to see. I never would have thought to offset the pulleys to get more speeds. Makes me wonder if I could do that with mine even though it isn't mentioned in the manual.
I bought mine back around 1980, belonged to some young guy’s uncle. Everything came with it including the owners manual. I also bought from him the matching bandsaw, which I no longer have. Gave it to a cousin when I bought my Jet bandsaw. The drill press has essentially three sets of stepped pulleys with two belts connecting them.
Mike

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
What do you think about starting a thread where we can show pieces of vintage equipment we run across? Not everyday stuff we all know about, but something different? I tried to see if there is already a thread like this on here, but didn't find one. Admin, please close this one down if you are aware of another like this. And point us to the other thread.

Bought this one about 35 years ago, needed some serious cleaning, had to have a tooth on one of the drive gears rebuilt. Have to be careful using any bits under an inch in diameter as it tends to snap them if they start to bind in the material and it did snap a 1 1/2 inch bit . 2 hp motor, turns bit about 75 rpm as set up now, accepts MT3 bits. The lever in the upper picture selects 1 of 2 reduction ratios. It's missing the automatic feed gear box.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle fork Automotive tire Bicycle tire
Machine tool Gas Toolroom Engineering Cylinder

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never got good pictures of it, but my Craftsman/DeWalt/Montgomery Ward 12" RAS is almost as killer as the Unipoint.
@Rick Christopherson

Is this the saw you are referring too? I think Sears started selling the DeWalt around 1977. I assume they sold pretty well because they started to sell the same saw as a Craftsman around 1982.

I agree it is an impressive saw, but for me it just doesn't have the style of the Unipoint. I'd put it a little farther away than "almost as killer as...". :)

In spite of that, I wouldn't mind having the DeWalt/Craftsman (long-time association with Sears, so I'd have to skip the Wards version).

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
@Rick Christopherson

Is this the saw you are referring too? I think Sears started selling the DeWalt around 1977. I assume they sold pretty well because they started to sell the same saw as a Craftsman around 1982.

I agree it is an impressive saw, but for me it just doesn't have the style of the Unipoint. I'd put it a little farther away than "almost as killer as...". :)

In spite of that, I wouldn't mind having the DeWalt/Craftsman (long-time association with Sears, so I'd have to skip the Wards version).
Yes, the picture on the right is my saw. Don't discount the MonkeyWards version, as they were all pretty much the same. American Woodworker Magazine had the MonkeyWards single-phase version, and I had the Craftsman 3-phase version. However, their shop was 3-phase and my shop was single phase. So I swapped their MW motor for my CM motor.

I bought the Unipoint at an auction on an off-day when there weren't supposed to be power tools listed, just windows and doors. So the only person bidding against me was an Amish guy that wanted to rip the motor off and run it from a line-shaft. So I stole it for $600. 🔥 🔥

But before I could even get the Unipoint down into the shop, my father came across the Craftsman, but didn't know how to set up its phase converter. So I bought it from him, and it was way better suited to my shop than the monster Unipoint. So I cleaned it up and flipped it for a nice profit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This Baxter D, Whitney double spindle shaper was built between 1918 and 1926. It was a remarkably modern machine for that time with specially built spindle motors running on high precision machine tool ball bearings. This was made not long after the era of Babbitt bearings and line shafts. These were a workhorse in woodworking plants and were built in different versions into the 1970's.

Table Furniture Wood Tool Workbench

I rebuilt the machine extensively in 1987: disassembled it, had the smaller castings hot tank stripped, had a crack in the main casting welded, repainted it, had the spindles dynamically balanced, new 3/4" spindle tops turned, added pneumatic lubricators for the upper bearings, built up a special switch block to electrically change spindle speeds from 3400rpm off the line frequency to 8500rpm off a GE 5kw 150 cycle 3 phase invertor, built the hold downs needed for curved work.

Here's the machine set up for straight work.

Wood Engineering Gas Machine Metal

The right-hand spindle has a Polish shaper fence. The left-hand spindle has a shop built fence that turns it into a side head sticker for small moldings like divided lite glazing bars. The Italian power feed will pivot to work with either side.

I built custom doors with i for quite a while. Both sides still spin smooth as silk.

Door Plant Fixture Wood Wood stain

1 - 20 of 27 Posts