Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend the best professional video series for woodturners? I mostly turn bowls and platters. I am self taught and have been turning for about 3-4 years. YouTube has been my friend during this time, but I am now looking for something a little more advanced and descriptive. Thanks for y'all's help.

Joey

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I highly recommend Bill Grumbine's video on bowl turning. Part of the reason I have not made a bowl turning video is I would say almost word for word what Bill says. So it's much easier to simply recommend his video. He covers everything from cutting the blank to finishing. He also does a very good job of covering the use of the bowl gouge.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I haven't seen Bill Grumbine's video, but I have watched (I think all) John's ... if you haven't seen them, search for John60Lucas on YouTube. I've learned something from every one of them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really pay attention to your comments on this forum John, but somehow I have missed you on YouTube. I will check out your videos tonight.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
a good source ive found for free ones on youtube is lyle jamieson. He gives a good explanation of how the wood grain works with the different cuts and shows how to do each cut on a bowl. Both inside and outside cuts. His process is not the same as mine but I really learned a lot from the way he explains the cuts. For projects I like watchin capn eddy on youtube... He gets a bit windy at times but he is entertaining and shows some cool techniques for bowls and platters. If you want to purchase a dvd. Mike mahoney does a great one on bowls and platters and it's the best one ive seen on the subject. If you want to see how a production turner handles all this stuff get the glenn lucas dvd. It's great if you want to see how he does everything (he's got turning bowls in bulk down to a science) but not as great if you're trying to learn basic cuts and just starting out.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My top suggestions would be..
Lyle Jamieson’s - Explained in detail as far as the cuts. He does turn complete green. He does have some segments on youtube but the full video is two discs.
Bill Grumbine – Very good also but maybe not quite as clear on the cuts.
Others are also very good for bowls: Richard Raffan (make sure you get the DVD and not VHS because you will want to watch quite a bit in 1/8 time) and John Jordan. I have not seen a full Stuart Batty video but here is a link to some. He is very detailed and clear on items that others just brush over.
http://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos
There is something new to learn from each video so far.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here's a link I forgot about.
http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/

Has about 400 links that have been vetted for safety.
Most are professional turners but the video may be self shot.
Links for beginners to advanced techniques like design, decoration, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts