Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
don't use "construction" lumber

2 x 4's.... ?
It will be difficult enough to find straight boards and when you cut into them they will twist, curve and warp.... Use kiln dried poplar or other hardwood.
That's a lot of work to have it not turn out well, through no fault of your own, except poor material choice. You won't save any money by going on the cheap., but you will save time in the long run. JMFA
Just My Free Advice.... :yes:

Reactions: jharris2

·
Old School
373 Posts
Two things...........

One, you have some way to keep it from tilting forward, right?

And, two, How ya gonna get to the tank top when you might need to? Have to empty, then move the cabinet?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two things...........

One, you have some way to keep it from tilting forward, right?

And, two, How ya gonna get to the tank top when you might need to? Have to empty, then move the cabinet?
- It shouldn't tilt forward at all. I see these all the time at my day job and nobody has them secured to the wall. That being said, I plan on screwing through the back skirt into the wall.

- With the lid removed there is enough room to do any maintenance that needs to be done inside the tank.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a similar project in mind. Just from a stylistic standpoint. These freestanding toilet things always look like such an afterthought to me. I think it'd look loads better without legs and attached higher up on the wall. For mine I plan to install night Iights and a reading light.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
An interesting video for sure. But for me, I would rather knock out a quick rough sketch on some clipboard (not computer clipboard), and be cutting out parts instead of typing on a computer.

I have a similar project in mind. Just from a stylistic standpoint. These freestanding toilet things always look like such an afterthought to me. I think it'd look loads better without legs and attached higher up on the wall. For mine I plan to install night Iights and a reading light.
+1. :yes: I agree. I would rather make it a wall hung cabinet, and do without the legs. Also makes for cleaning the floor easier. I would use a different type of wood than 2x4's. Construction grade lumber has the propensity to twist, and warp, especially when machined. You could use Birch, Maple, or Poplar, any of those would be better, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts