Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to finishing this tall piece yesterday its 18 inches tall so let me know what you guys an gals think about it, its very Spalted Maple an did have some punkyness to it so had to work with it slowly an stabilized it as I went Wall thickness is 1/4 inch an hollowed in 14 inches

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
I think the pictures are not doing justice to the nice grain/spalting in the wood. :icon_smile:

I can imagine the challenges of making this piece with the punky wood. Nice looking piece. Well done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the pictures are not doing justice to the nice grain/spalting in the wood. :icon_smile:

I can imagine the challenges of making this piece with the punky wood. Nice looking piece. Well done. :thumbsup:
It was a Challenge an took a lot of time but well worth it tho :smile::smile:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I sher like it!
18 in is really deep. Some day when I grow up maybe I can do something like that.
Like the inlay too!
Dave H.

Reactions: bigcouger

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: guglipm63

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very beautiful, very nice spalting. I just picked up 812 bd ft of spalted big leaf maple this weekend. Hoping to purchase a used Powermatic 4224 this week, only hope that I can do close to the work you do. ken

·
Registered
569 Posts
Looks great, and as mentioned I am sure the pics don't really show it off. I tried some tung oil on some maple last night and not so sure I like the dirty yellowed tone it gave it. What did you use?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great, and as mentioned I am sure the pics don't really show it off. I tried some tung oil on some maple last night and not so sure I like the dirty yellowed tone it gave it. What did you use?
This is Watco Natural Oil an Poly then rubbed, some pieces I use Tung oil on are Darker pieces on light woods I use Watco

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Roy, it looks very nice. I am always impressed with the quality if your work. Some items look as though they take a long time to complete. And, if I'm not mistaken you only work in the shop 1-2 hours a day and do so sitting. I know how difficult it is for me at 4.5' tall to stand at a lathe. I choose to stand on a box, primarily because its easier than making a special stand for it to stand on that is solid and heavy enough to eliminate shaking. I'm truly impressed with the quality of your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roy, it looks very nice. I am always impressed with the quality if your work. Some items look as though they take a long time to complete. And, if I'm not mistaken you only work in the shop 1-2 hours a day and do so sitting. I know how difficult it is for me at 4.5' tall to stand at a lathe. I choose to stand on a box, primarily because its easier than making a special stand for it to stand on that is solid and heavy enough to eliminate shaking. I'm truly impressed with the quality of your work.

I have been using a swivel chair around the lathe some it helps Looking to have one made an attached to it soon

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
bigcouger said:
I have been using a swivel chair around the lathe some it helps Looking to have one made an attached to it soon
You know, some people like you and me tend to be problem solvers by necessity. Necessity is the mother of invention. I guess we are inventors. ; )

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job on a beautiful piece of wood. I would've been holding my breath the whole time with a spalted piece like that.

respirators Works great I use mine with Spalted wood :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts