Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't have any experience in woodworking whatsoever and am wanting some simple ideas and plans to get this hobby rolling. Any websites and ideas are much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Clocks can be about as simple or as complex as you like, so those are always a good project. Any basic shelf is also a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Boxes are good: you can start with rabbeted (or rebated, if you prefer the English spelling) corners, and move on to box joints, splined miters, dovetails, and all sorts of oddness. They also give good practice in accuracy and stock choice, and they make good gifts.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Search for Steve Ramsey's Wood Working for Mere Mortals YouTube stuff. I'm pretty new to the hobby and got some great beginner ideas from his entertaining videos. Find a wood supplier and just keep at it. If you're like me, you'll be hooked in no time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From another new person on the forum, welcome. You will find great advice from those posting here as they are a talented group. One of the best tips I read was "just start making some sawdust." I am currently working on a cabinet of storage drawers for my workshop. I have disassembled the frame twice (learning how to square things up better each time) and today finished cutting the balance of 8 storage boxes. I have made 4 of the boxes so far and am thinking of redoing the first one already. The moral of this post is I am seeing an improvement on the joinery of each box. My cuts are becoming squarer but not perfect yet and the joints are getting tighter. Think of a project that will help you out and one that is not overly complicated and enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you have experience with power or woodworking tools? I would first learn about safety and proper use before anything. If you know your way around a shop, learn how to cut and assemble the different kinds of joints there are. once you are familiar with some or all, it makes it easier to decide which one to use in a project later on. Good luck.

By the way, once friends and family hear what you're doing, you will be bombarded with requests that will be with you forever and ever and ever hahaha. Let the sawdust fly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts