Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Normand
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am very interested in woodworking as a hobby, and would greatly appreciate any help for starting out I can get. Books, websites, pro-tips, starter projects, any information would be great!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Norman and welcome to the forum. For starters you can start searching through here, there's a wealth of info and pictures. I also spend a lot of time over at http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/ he's a funny guy and puts a refreshing spin on woodworking. YouTube is also your friend. And lastly check out http://woodgears.ca/ Matthias Wandel is a genius IMHO and has a lot of cool ideas. Have fun and don't cut off your fingers ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well you started out at the right place! All the members on this forum are full on info, great projects, using tools for more then one thing, using tools correctly, and step by step projects! :) Welcome aboard!

Eric Williams

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
You could always post a picture here of something you want to build and I'm sure you would get more than enough suggestions of the tools and techniques it would take to do it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi Normand - As stated - you just joined a great site but do take a moment to introduce yourself in the "Intro..." forum. Lots of folks like to welcome new members and watch for them in that thread.

Another source is your local library, they have a woodworking section. Even if you're form a small town, lots of them belong to a consortium. I know this because my wife is a librarian in Milford NH.

A bit of advise I give to all new woodworkers is to concentrate on your workshop. Building shop projects is a good way to learn joinery and make shop accessories. Even if you make mistakes - it's just a shop fixture and it can be functional - with "learning" mistakes. But do keep your projects simple to learn the basics. Every shop needs a workbench so build yourself a simple workbench. Keep it simple and try a few basic joints like half laps and dados. A simple workbench with simple joinery can go a long way.

Also - don't throw out your cut offs - use them to practice other wood joints.

I'm blessed with a full workshop so if you live near Greenville - PM me and I might be able to help you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
get some scrap lumber laying around, even some pallets (most of the time you can get them free), just some cheap wood to start, don't run out and pay $5.00bdft for walnut to mess around with. I got some pallets from a neighbor, took out the nails,staples and got some decent oak planks and made picture frames. cheap,easy, and very helpful in learning your equipment and joining. welcome aboard to the forum. if you can't find the answer here, there aint one.lol as mentioned, post a pic of some thing you want to build and you'll get plenty of responses to help ya out. good luck and stay safe, dt.

Like BernieL mentioned keep those scraps and end cuts, before you put your nice pieces across the router, stick a scrap piece in there. that way you'll know if it's what ya want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts