Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fine decorative finishing and painting contractor that does woodwork on occasion. Here is my question . . .

I have a client who is looking to have existing base, door trim and stringers touched up. He is not looking for perfection just would like the 16 yr old uncared for wood looking a tad better and all matching a little closer in color. He is alos buy a few new doors to be finished as well. My question is what is the best way to do this? Do we need to sand, stain, seal and varnish the existing wood? Or is there a more simplified way to accomplish this task?

Thank your so much for your responses.
LSEbert

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am likely "old fashioned" but I choose not to take jobs that require me to touch up. I believe a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

I believe a complete finish should be considered, then the new and the old work will look similar. I feel touch ups are a bandaide not a solution.

After 16 years it may be time to refresh all the trim, as you say "uncared for".

Just my opinion, through the eyes of John!

Good luck with the job.
John

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Touchup of anything that old is not a good idea. Unless you have the exact original paint, and even then it will not match, due to exposure. Either do a complete repaint,refinish or do nothing. IMHO:yes:
I vote with John :yes:
Just an addendum: You touch it,you married it.You own it. Remember this; " Oh it doesn't match ,do it again,for free, and again.and again. OH NO it looks really terrible now I want you to do EVERYTHING OVER NOW FOR FREE."

·
Registered
178 Posts
skymaster

Quote: "You touch it,you married it.You own it. Remember this; " Oh it doesn't match ,do it again,for free, and again.and again. OH NO it looks really terrible now I want you to do EVERYTHING OVER NOW FOR FREE."

I have been there, done that, got the "T" shirt. By the way I did not like the way the "T" shirt hung on me. :)

A costly lesson for me, for sure.

John :)

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
:yes::yes::sad: John: Yes my friend I have several of these "T" shirts.
That is the reason I DO NOT do any finishing on the cabinets etc I build. Make em, install em, get paid, say thank you cya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts