Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen these around before and was wanting to make one. The only problem is the biggest nail gun that I have is a 16 gauge finish nailer. Is it possible to use one of these and wood glue to make a vertical flower bed that will be structurally sound? I am hoping that the glue would provide the bulk of the holding power, but am unsure. Also does anyone have pictures or plans of one of these that you have made?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about but I do know wood glue has lots of holding power when properly applied. That said - are your vertical flower boxes going to be built with pressure treated wood since they will hold wet dirt? If so... your typical wood glue will not hold. You would need to use a pl glue like TiteBond or LiquidNails.

It would be helpful if you posted a picture with more information.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Your 16 gauge finish nails won't hold up in weather very long unless you use stainless steel nails. Titebond makes a wood glue for outdoor use, but I think Bernie's answer about using PL construction adhesive or Liquid Nails or one similar to them will be a better choice. You can get 16 gauge nails up to 2 1/2" long so if you are using 3/4" stock they will hold. In 2 x stock they will still be 1" into the second piece so if you use plenty of nails and the adhesive, it should work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have no idea what you're talking about but I do know wood glue has lots of holding power when properly applied. That said - are your vertical flower boxes going to be built with pressure treated wood since they will hold wet dirt? If so... your typical wood glue will not hold. You would need to use a pl glue like TiteBond or LiquidNails.

It would be helpful if you posted a picture with more information.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5861724443/

That should be a pretty good picture to show what I am talking about. However I am not going to make one that large. I am going to make a small version maybe 2feet by three feet out of 1x4 to see how I like the concept in practice. I was planning on using pressure treated so thanks for the heads up on the adhesive situation. I was going to try to keep it kind of shallow to reduce the amount and weight of the dirt to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Don't they normally do those with the plants in pots? Keeps the dirt from washing away. Don't suppose you have a hammer or maybe a drill. You could construct the frame with nails or screws.
Having used one of those hanging tomato growers, I can tell you, they need watering twice a day, rain won't do much of anything. Those racks will create some problems on your wall, mold, dirt, constant wetness, staining and degradation. They may look pretty but there can be consequences. You would be better off to put up a trellis and grow flowering vines out of a large pot below. Keep the trellis away from the wall and use vines that die back in the winter. That way you don't have a nasty trap against the wall all year long.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Those things look pretty in pictures or an somebody else's wall. They are a bear to maintain. And as has aleady been said they do not do good things to the wall to which they are against.

George

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the negatives of the vertical flower beds. I guess I will scratch the idea. It isn't worth the negatives to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts