Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
as a hobbiest woodworker I have a question for you. I purchased a while ago one luxury plane for me. A Veritas bevel up plane. Maybe it was too much for a beginner like me. Anyway i am quite happy with it. But, a while ago I was checking its sole and found out that it was not flat. So, how is it possible? They claim they make high quality handplanes. That's a mistery fto me. Do I expect too much? Should I tolerate some unflateness? Or maybe I should expect to tune it up myself after purchasing?

·
7,222 Posts
Perhaps more eyes if this were posted in the Hand Tools forum.

Lee Valley brand Veritas do make good quality planes.

They do claim the soles and sides are machined to a high tolerance.

What is the method to check the sole being flat?

Lee Valley have excellent customer service. If the sole is not flat I expect they would exchange the plane.

How far out of flat is the sole? May be easier to flatten your self.

Which specific plane?

It is possible it was flat at the time of manufacture and some internal stress caused movement afterwards.

Normally you would only need to hone the blade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps more eyes if this were posted in the Hand Tools forum.

Lee Valley brand Veritas do make good quality planes.

They do claim the soles and sides are machined to a high tolerance.

What is the method to check the sole being flat?

Lee Valley have excellent customer service. If the sole is not flat I expect they would exchange the plane.

How far out of flat is the sole? May be easier to flatten your self.

Which specific plane?

It is possible it was flat at the time of manufacture and some internal stress caused movement afterwards.

Normally you would only need to hone the blade.
Hi Dave thanks for replying. I am currently sick, so I do not have a chance to check my plane. It is a bevel up low angle bench plane from Veritas. As soon as I get better I will post a picture of the plane sole along with a straight edge to let you know. Thanks Enrico

1 - 3 of 3 Posts