Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a Nova Galaxy 2HP lathe with a 36" Vega duplicator. I purchased the duplicator in hopes that I could turn wood bats more efficiently and duplicate certain models.

After a few months and several phone calls to Vega I am still unable to remove even 1/8" per pass. I have purchased the carbide cutter per the suggestion of a Vega employee. The cutter will still stick and stop the wood.

Any suggestions on how to remove up to 3/4" per pass that Vega claims? Are their RPM requirements that I am not meeting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I almost purchased a Vega duplicator a month ago. I do a lot of repetitive spindle turning and was wondering about how much labor it saves and how consistent it is. I won't be doing anything nearly so long, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
we have the vega on a smaller 22" jet lathe. I have the hss cutter in for now, but it cuts ok - no way could I take a 3/4" pass, maybe 1/8"?? it helps to have a reversible lathe. vega on one side, tool rests on the other.

I am disappointed in the copying capability, as it tends to cut different going left vs going right. and you have to kind of feather the cut depth with the lever as it goes. it is entirely possible I have not learned the correct operation of it also.

what I do use it for is rounding the blank - quickly.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have considered buying a Vega duplicator. I do not care so much about the depth of cut per pass, as much as the ability to cut uniform pieces. I make much smaller spindle turned pieces. My pieces are only 5 to 7 inches high.

·
johnep
1,980 Posts
I watched the Vega video. At no time did the demonstrator remove much more than a 1/16th at each pass.
johnep

1 - 6 of 6 Posts