Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to waterproof this case and I put two coats of waterproof outdoor stain on leaving it dry 72 hrs between each coat. It’s been over a week since I did the waterproof stain an yesterday I used Spar Varnish to further the waterproofing.

It’s been 24 hr now and the Spar Varnish is still tacky. Well actually more than sticky, it transfers to the fingers when touched.
Do you think it’s going to ever dry? I have it in the sun right now to see if it helps.

Note: I know it’s pretty ugly, but it wasn’t my intent to make it pretty only waterproof it with stuff I had on hand. :shifty:

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waterproof stain??? Spars can takes weeks to cure.

Oh no, wow I didn't know that. Oh well just my luck

I bought the waterproof stain for my outdoor spa and it worked pretty good. I guess I should have left it as that

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just wondering if I should wipe it down with Mineral Spirits or maybe scrape it. :confused1:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If the varnish is still tacky, either one is going to be a mess. Give it some time and see if it cures. Was that a relatively fresh can of varnish?

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If the varnish is still tacky, either one is going to be a mess. Give it some time and see if it cures. Was that a relatively fresh can of varnish?
I believe the can is from this year and I just opened it for this project, so it should be fresh. The shop temp has been averaging in the 50s although last night drooped pretty low. Maybe I' ll fire up the propane heater.

I want to cut a bunch of dado's for some drawers with the router table and I'm afraid the dust is really going to ruin the finish.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I want to cut a bunch of dado's for some drawers with the router table and I'm afraid the dust is really going to ruin the finish.
Freshness is defined as "unopened" for varnish, so yours should be good. You can bet if it's sticky, any dust will find it. Can you move it somewhere to allow you to work? BTW, you may find a small amount of air movement will help it cure as much (or more) than heat. The process is a reaction with oxygen, so more air is a good thing.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freshness is defined as "unopened" for varnish, so yours should be good. You can bet if it's sticky, any dust will find it. Can you move it somewhere to allow you to work? BTW, you may find a small amount of air movement will help it cure as much (or more) than heat. The process is a reaction with oxygen, so more air is a good thing.
Thanks, I was going to cover it but maybe I'll take it outside. its a little cold but there is sun and no wind.

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
I hate working with Cabot spar in winter. I think it's one of the slowest drying finishes I've worked with. I added some to some enamel I was working with and sprayed it on Wednesday and it is just now dry to touch today.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Was the stain fully dry before you over coated it?

From the product info I read at the Behr site, I don't think the stain is intended to be over coated. The stain is a waterbased product and your clear coat is an oil based product. Mixing finishes like that can often be problematic. If it does dry in the next couple of days I suggest use a chemical paint remover and removing all the finish. Then start over using compatible products.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the stain was completely dried and the Spar varnish finally did dry. I just now lightly sanded it and put on another coat of varnish. I sanded it with 220 to try and get some of the dust off which was probably a little too course because it removed a lot more varnish than I thought.
Now that I know it does dry, my biggest problem is dust getting on it while it’s drying. It’s just too long a time to not create dust.

Anyway thank goodness this is just a tool case and not a piece of furniture. As much trouble as I’ve had this past year, I think I may have to pay someone to finish any quality wood working projects.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to mention this earlier, but got sidetracked with something else. Anyway I put a second coat on yesterday and today 24hrs later it was completely dry and hard. Go Figure. :huh:
I guess the varnish drying time did have something to do with the stain. Oh and it was colder today because I wasn't home to turn on the heat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts