Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this piece of walnut. It's 3" thick by 9" by 10".

I was thinking of a bandsaw box of some sort, but don't own a band saw.... Would my jig saw cut through it?

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol! I could buy a new bandsaw... I already own a decent table saw and just purchased a dewalt 734 planer two days ago... So I am pretty set on tools except the band saw. Im just curious if I would actually need it for this specific project. I don't foresee myself doing much of this type of work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Alaska_Guy said:
Lol! I could buy a new bandsaw... I already own a decent table saw and just purchased a dewalt 734 planer two days ago... So I am pretty set on tools except the band saw. Im just curious if I would actually need it for this specific project. I don't foresee myself doing much of this type of work.
I would think that you need a bandsaw to do that if you check out sears 10" craftsman bandsaw it is a great saw i love and it is very reasonable in price compared to the exact same saw made by rikon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well yours is covered. What ya going to make for her?

I am doing a jewelry box for my wife. It is inspired by the Steve Ramsey one. Not exact, but similar.

·
Papa Red
1,165 Posts
You best get that bandsaw built, tuned and practice making bandsaw boxes before you make hers. You've only got a week!

Red

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Streamwinner said:
Oh my god, this thread is awesome. 5:13 pm: Hey guys, what should I make? I don't have a bandsaw. 6:28 pm: You should get a bandsaw. 9:28 pm: Okay, I bought a 14" bandsaw. Now what should I make? ALASKA GUY, YOU ARE MY HERO! Nice purchase!
I agree!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! Haha... Keep the ideas coming. I know there has to be other fellow wood workers in the same situation. I really enjoy wood working and hate the whole valentines day thing, the wife actually hates it too! I married her for a reason you know... :)

So basically I am down in the wood shop (garage) all the time anyhow. So If I could come up with something to make for her she wouldn't even suspect it.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I'm lucky my wife hates valentines day. :thumbsup:

She says. "if you can't show you Love someone with your actions everyday, then you can't do it with overpriced gifts on that one day."

She hates Flowers as well to expensive and they never last. Now if I could get her to hate jewelry I'd have it made.:laughing:

With that said. As mentioned you've got to love how this thread has gone so far.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I am making sawdust! I decided to try a scrap piece of lumber... Good thing i did! That blade is too big and caused me to crack my first box on the top. Looks like I need to purchase a 1/8" blade to do this kind of work. I had to put a wedge between the two pieces to get enough room for the blade... Low and behold the box cracked. :(

Good thing I made two templates, so I am on to the second one while I try and glue up the first to see if I can salvage it. Prolly just keep it in my shop for drill bits or something.

I am using a template I found online and will post pictures when I get them done.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
rrbrown said:
Now if I could get her to hate jewelry I'd have it made.:laughing: .
I'm actually married to a woman who's not big on jewelry. When we first met, she never wore much except for a necklace her mother got her years prior. I asked her one day & she said she doesn't care much for it. Since the 5+ years we've been married! I have bought her a heart necklace (she alternates wearing with her other one), some diamond earrings she asked for and some other pearl earrings. She occasionally wears the diamonds (she had asked for these) but that's it. Frankly I wish she liked it a bit more cause gift giving can be very challenging otherwise...LOL

Mark

1 - 20 of 41 Posts