Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the 1/4" utility plywood Lowe's is carrying. The entire 4' width of the sheet is strips of 1/16" wide veneer. Visually it looks like someone cut a 1/4" rip off of a four foot thick sheet of Baltic birch and stained it pink. I'm wondering what you would use it for. I wouldn't even use it for base cabinet backs in garage cabinets.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i bought a sheet of that last year and it was fine. I went back a couple of months ago and they didn't carry it at the store near me anymore.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
About a year ago I bought a piece of 3/4" oak veneer ply from Lowes and it was better then the cabinet grade I bought from the local cabinet wood supplier. Very few voids within the plys. Than about six months later I returned to buy another piece, it was the only one they had left. I asked them to cut it into 4 X 4 to get it in to my car. When he cut it in half the plywood split in half between plys. Yes now there were 4, 3/8" thick pieces of plywood. Good thing I had them cut the wood other wise I would have needed to make a 150 mile trip to return it. One of the joys of living in the boonies.

I wish I had a good source to buy cabinet grade oak veneer plywood. Up here if the plys are good the veneer is bad and if the veneer is good the plys are bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts