Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this was suppose to say finish for wood!!!! not razor i own a straight razor and know they work for it just heard from a buddy that you can use a leather strop for putting a shine on finishes.

·
7,222 Posts
If you search the site and/or the internet for methods of sharpening you will see that some folks finish the sharpening using a leather strop and green compound.

The leather needs to be flat, so frequently mounted on a backing piece of wood or plastic.

The compound is important since this does the actual honing.

An example of a thread on the site.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/share-your-sharpening-secrets-48401/

·
Registered
12,945 Posts
I just heard a rumor that you can use leather and leather strops like for putting that micro edge on a straight razor. Is this true i mean your talking a very fine grit on leather lol. What do you all think would it work?
You have obviously never seen a barber shop. A leather strop is what the barber uses for the finishing touch on his razor.

Or, am I years out of date and barbers do not use straight razors anymore?

When I am putting the finishing touches on one of my good knives I use the top of an old boot for the strop. That is after sharpening with three levels of arkansas stone.

kGeorge

George

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
livalil74 said:
I just heard a rumor that you can use leather and leather strops like for putting that micro edge on a straight razor. Is this true i mean your talking a very fine grit on leather lol. What do you all think would it work?
Are you asking about finishing or sharpening? If you are asking about finishing I have never heard of it.
Tom

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Use a flat, smooth piece of thick leather on a flat surface. Charge it with a small dab of good chrome polish. If you use a honing guide, leave the blade in the guide. Only pull it backwards. If your other sharpening techniques have resulted in two nice flat angles meeting, you won't believe the mirror polish that will result and the extreme sharpness of the blade.

Most guys today have not experienced a barber shop shave, hot towels, hot lather, straight razor. A different technique is used on a barber's strop for the stropping and 4 different leather surfaces but your face will be baby butt smooth for 2 days. After stropping your blade, don't try to shave hair off your arm unless you have a box of Bandaids handy. It won't be scary sharp, it will be dangerously sharp.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I use a leather strop charged with honing compound as the final step on honing all my blades. I'm not convinced I can state definitively that it results in a better edge, but it seems to. Certainly the edge is shinier afterwards, which seems to imply another level of polishing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Omg

I so wrote what i was thinking and not what i meant sorry i meant use the leather strop as a finishing tool for a very shinny finish on wood i use a straight razor and use a strop for the micro edge. Im meaning to ask about for finishes on wood! sorry guys wow what a brain fart!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
livalil74 said:
I so wrote what i was thinking and not what i meant sorry i meant use the leather strop as a finishing tool for a very shinny finish on wood i use a straight razor and use a strop for the micro edge. Im meaning to ask about for finishes on wood! sorry guys wow what a brain fart!
I read your post about asking about finishing. That's why I questioned what you were asking.
Tom

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Oxides of iron, copper, chromium and aluminum are used as honing compounds. They are all in the range of 0.25 - 0.5 micrometer, nominal particle size. That's a weasel-word for average with some bigger and some smaller particles.
You think that the surface looks shiny becasue the huma eye can't see such fine scratches. But you can with a 8X or 10X loupe.

The problem with a leather strop attached to a hard base is that if too much pressure is applied, the leather compresses under the bevel and rebounds as the end goes by, rounding off the bevel to some useless angle = beginner's mistake.
I need shallow bevel angles for wood carving, gouges at 20, all my knives, straight and crooked, 12 degrees. I can see the leather move if I press too hard.

Leather strops are OK, I have some of those. These days, I like to use 4x6" file cards or cereal box cardboard as a carrier for my chrome green (laced with aluminum oxide, too.) The support can be just about anything reasonably flat. Laminate flooring is good, so is a granite countertop cut off, like the cutout for sinks (free by the dozens). Masking tape is better than any glue. For my crooked knives, 800, 1500 and card on 3/4" aluminum tubing have served me well for many years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts