Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people! need to pick your brains.

I am wanting to construct a post and beam timber frame at the rear of my stables as an undercover area for sanding etc.

I have a concrete base to construct on but need to have some advice on the timber to use.

I would love to be able to build out of English Oak, Douglas Fir etc, but am seriously strapped for cash.
I do have large amounts of Ash (fraxinus excelsior) in my woods which I can fell and mill for all my timber requirements but am put off by the durability factor.

I know Ash isn't as ideal as most other timber, but, with sufficient treatment / preservative would it last say, 10-15 years?

You've probably been asked this question before so sorry if I'm repeating as I am new to the forum.

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Tim

·
Banned
16 Posts
Ash is stable, solid wood. I believe it will hold up as siding for years and years if properly treated when putting up and every few years. I would do this, lay it all flat and spray it, or if you have a way soak it in deisel fuel. Every couple years give a good spray down on the outside with diesel and it will repel water and last a very long time. I can see it lasting 40 plus years if taking care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey! Thanks for the reply Blockofwood.......really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I certainly like the idea of milling the Ash and then selling it.I'll look into it in a bit more detail and work out what I may be able to get for it when it's milled to see if the time an effort is worth it.

Over the last two days, I have managed to locate some windblown larch in a neighbours woodland. going to approach them soon and ask if I can have them for my posts which would be a real bonus :smile:

I'll keep you posted .

Cheeers,

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts