Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of planing I came up with a way to build my next chest of drawers. In order to keep cost down I'd like to use oak in some parts and pine in others. (For example, Oak front of the drawers but pine for the sides and back) and (oak for the front piece of each frame but pine for the other 3 sides) In my plans only the oak would show.

My question is ... Are there any problems with using two types of wood in the same project? Does one type of wood move more than others?

Thanks

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
After a lot of planing I came up with a way to build my next chest of drawers. In order to keep cost down I'd like to use oak in some parts and pine in others. (For example, Oak front of the drawers but pine for the sides and back) and (oak for the front piece of each frame but pine for the other 3 sides) In my plans only the oak would show.

My question is ... Are there any problems with using two types of wood in the same project? Does one type of wood move more than others?

Thanks
If they do, it's never been a problem with any of my projects.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think that using two types of wood in order to save money is very common and has been used for hundreds of years.

On almost every episode of Antique Roadshow they have some valuable piece of furniture and talk about the beautiful hardwood exterior and further identify it by the cheaper secondary hidden woods which varied from region to region.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Thanks everybody. I love having a great idea only to find out I'm a couple hundred years late.:laughing:
Still, it was a good question. Not all woods work well together. Some woods don't even work well with THEMSELVES if you have grain going in two different directions, or large pieces (thus the need for "floating panel" doors, for example).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.