Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend was telling me about using a torch to burn the surface to make the wood look old. Saw a few Internet videos of guys doing it. Purchased the cheap bottle and torch combo. The flame is focused into a small point no matter where the dial. What torch is good for wood burning?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I saw a video where a guy used the burner from a turkey fryer, he filled a pot with sand and just heated the crap out of the sand. Then he dunked the wood in just for like a minute. It came out pretty charred but then he did a light high grit sanding and it looked pretty cool. Not sure if that is the thing you are looking for though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a torch that I purchased from Harbor Freight which is supposed to be used to burn weeds. Also does a great job of lighting my lump charcoal.
It hooks up to a gas grill propane tank, cost $16.00 with a coupon and shoots out one heck of a flame. Sounds like I have a jet engine in the back yard.
I have not tried it on wood but I would think it will work as the flame is not concentrated like the small plumber torch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a torch that I purchased from Harbor Freight which is supposed to be used to burn weeds. Also does a great job of lighting my lump charcoal.
It hooks up to a gas grill propane tank, cost $16.00 with a coupon and shoots out one heck of a flame. Sounds like I have a jet engine in the back yard.
I have not tried it on wood but I would think it will work as the flame is not concentrated like the small plumber torch.
I'd agree on something like this. We used to use them for starting camp fires (total overkill).

Pretty simple devices. Outdoor use only...

http://www.amazon.com/Propane-Turbo-Torch-Nozzles-Turbo-Blast/
You can get them online and at most hardware / big box stores for about $30.

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
The only wood I burned was some ash cabinets doors. I was stripping the finish too close to winter using a pail heater on my strip tank and the heater set the remover on fire. They didn't exactly look old, just charred.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.